Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm not wasting money on college for my kids

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM
  • 101 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Will you or have you required your children to go to college immediately after high school?

Options:

Yes

No

Unsure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 109

View Results

Let me explain... College is necessary IF you plan to go into a field that "requires" a degree or specialized training (doctor, nurse, lawyer, engineer, etc) and I will certainly help/pay for any of my children that truly want to go to college to pursue a profession. BUT, I am not going to force any of them to go to college "just because".

Examples? I have been a recruiter for 16 yrs (I now own my own business) and I do NOT have a college degree. I am still shocked to see that I make twice as much as many of the professionals (with degrees) that I am recruiting. My husband has an accounting degree. Guess what? He got into the mortgage industry while still in college, made a ton of money, bought a bar, then a restaurant. He never even needed the degree. He could've saved his parents $60k. Look at Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Oprah... None of them have college degrees and they did pretty damn well in life! 

Sadly, many parents pressure their kids to go to college (whether the child wants to or not) then go into the hole paying for college degrees that their kids never end up using or needing just because society says after high school, your child must go to college...  How many 18 or 19 year olds *really* know what they want to do with their life at that time? Most of them that get shipped off to college immediately after high school party their first year away. I have numerous friends and family members that struggle to find jobs after college because they got a degree in something completely useless in the real world or they end up going back to school years later after they figure out what they really want to do in life.

I believe in encourging your kids to figure out what it is they want to do with their lives first. If that happens right out of high shcool, great, but if not, and it takes them a few years (or more), thats ok too. My oldest son decided he does not want to go to college. He is a musician and instead decided he wants to go to Luthier school (a trade school to learn how to build guitars). I think that its awesome he is following his passion in life. His father and I will help him pay for it. Making him go to college is certainly not going to help him at all in that field.  

Again, not saying college isn't great for many people who truly want/need it, I'm just saying it's not required rigth out of high school or required for everyone to be successful in life....

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:03 PM
9 moms liked this
My children are being raised knowing that college is not optional. They will be attending.
MommyOfOne2710
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't believe you HAVE to go. My parents rule for all of us was after high school, you either work full time or go to school full time. They were fine with either one, but you had to do something.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:05 PM
7 moms liked this

Absolutely, but then I have academic kids.  If they were not -which is hard to imagine, since we are - then I'd encourage them in a well-paying trade. 

It's the new high school diploma, and kind of a bare minimum for any non-blue collar job. 

There are very, very, VERY few Gates, Oprah's and Zuckerbergs.   You cannot use the exceedingly rare outlier as a valid exception. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Not going to college is not an option. DS will go and we will pay for it.
eykelley
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I will allow my kids to do whatever they want. I got married at 18, became a supervisor at a big company and had my son at 19. I then got my CNA cert and worked in hospitals making ok money. I didnt know i wanted to be a nurse until i was 24. Im 26. & in all honesty, i DONT want to be a rn. I want to be a publisher, BUT being an RN will financially care for my family for many years and i plan to get my masters by the time im 40, so i can teach.
my kids can follow whatever path they want. I will support them. (Except for ax murderer, i draw the line there).
I will also pay for either their college or the downpayment on a house if they get married.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM

My kids are going to college.  Also they will be paying for it themselves.

WundrWmn
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

ETA: I added this to the above: I believe in encourging your kids to figure out what it is they want to do with their lives first. If that happens right out of high shcool, great, but if not, and it takes them a few years (or more), thats ok too. My oldest son decided he does not want to go to college. He is a musician and instead decided he wants to go to Luthier school (a trade school to learn how to build guitars). I think that its awesome he is following his passion in life. His father and I will help him pay for it but forcing him go to college is certainly not going to help him with what he wants to do for his profession. 

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Absolutely, but then I have academic kids.  If they were not -which is hard to imagine, since we are - then I'd encourage them in a well-paying trade. 

It's the new high school diploma, and kind of a bare minimum for any non-blue collar job. 

There are very, very, VERY few Gates, Oprah's and Zuckerbergs.   You cannot use the exceedingly rare outlier as a valid exception. 

This. I have three very academically-minded children who desire a college education and one who at this point (she is ten) wants to work with animals on some level and is less academic. She may choose an area that needs a technical or trade education. But just a HS diploma has never been given as an option.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.....Mine are expected to go to college after they graduate high school . They all have a college fund ready for them.

IF however they don't go they will not have access to that money for another purpose. So far 3 out of 7 have graduated college, 1 is still in college and 1 starts this fall. I have 1 that refused to go and 1 that will go when he graduates high school (fingers crossed)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

All of my kids went to college only two use their degrees.  My two daughters are at home moms. I don't feel the money spent on their educations was wasted at all since both did have careers before getting married and having children.  They also can fall back on their degrees if necessary.  Both have kept up their certifications and credentials over the years. Learning is never a waste and I am surprised you are a recruiter I own a recruiting firm and all of my staff have at least a bachelors in business most have Master's.  Must be a firm that works with under 100k jobs.  We only recruit high salary recruits in the 200k and up range.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN