Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When a bride says one thing but means another??

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM
  • 53 Replies

Have you had an experience (be it as a bride, a guest, or a member of a wedding) where a bride says one thing when she really means something else?  

For example, she says: "If those are the shoes you like, then fine, buy them." What she really means: "Oh my god I can't believe we're still talking about YOUR shoes -- it's MY day!"

Has a bride ever said anything like that to you?

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wamom223
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

"I really just want my sister to be the only bridesmaid but I would love it if you came early before the wedding to help me get ready" really meant I don't want you to be a bridesmaid but I want you to act like one and help me get ready and get the venue ready and kick my only bridesmaid out when she annoys me.  But I was fine with it because I didn't have to buy the expensive shoes and dress she would have picked out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM
6 moms liked this

Yes, my sister asked me to be her matron of honor. I was thrilled and happy to be so involved in her special day until one day she called me up and said, "Hey, I was thinking, it could be pricy, so why don't you just serve punch or something at the reception instead?" What she really meant was, "Why don't you just work my wedding so you don't ruin my wedding pictures with your fat a**." 

I know this because I overheard her talking to our mom and complaining, "__ is just SO FAT! She's going to make all my wedding pictures look AWFUL! She'll ruin the WHOLE THING!" I wound up skipping the wedding entirely.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I've always taken people at their word.. I don't assume that mean secret other things.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

my ex friend was an atrocious bride.

I grew up with this girl over 25 years. I wasn't even going to be IN her wedding because "I don't want you to rush to lose your baby weight". I was put in as a backup when another girl backed out. She picked a girl she knew for a few months as her MOH, now they don't even talk because she thinks MOH ruined everything by not making sure everything was absolutely perfect... like the weather.

The dresses she picked were open back and I had short hair at the time and she kept trying to tell me to get my tattoo covered up (it's a small butterfly on my shoulder blade). I told her if she wanted me in the wedding, take me as I am, or be one bridesmaid short.

gkcathey
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was getting married, we told my mother in law that we had decided to get married at my church (Catholic) and then a few months later, at a wedding shower, she told me "You know, I don't really mind that you're Catholic".  I just said "Oh, welll that's a relief.  I"m sure my family will be glad to hear that, especially my uncle, the Priest"

ramita
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM
That's horrible! I'm so sorry you had to go through that!!

The only problem I've had with being weddings is dealing with a bride who kept changing her mind and wanted until the month before to decide what she wanted everyone in (thankfully I didn't have to get an expensive bridesmaid dress). It sucked because I had 5 people to buy for (my DH, myself, and all 3 of our kids are in the wedding) and what she picked was really hard to find. Oh well the wedding is next weekend and then it'll be completely over...

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, my sister asked me to be her matron of honor. I was thrilled and happy to be so involved in her special day until one day she called me up and said, "Hey, I was thinking, it could be pricy, so why don't you just serve punch or something at the reception instead?" What she really meant was, "Why don't you just work my wedding so you don't ruin my wedding pictures with your fat a**." 

I know this because I overheard her talking to our mom and complaining, "__ is just SO FAT! She's going to make all my wedding pictures look AWFUL! She'll ruin the WHOLE THING!" I wound up skipping the wedding entirely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Dude, there would've been some brawling had my sister said something so hurtful. Maybe *accidentally* have a punch stains on a wedding gown for sure. Or punches in the face. BAM.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tay06
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Nope.  My sister wasn't really a bridezilla.

lorelei10
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Oh my word.... what a gem of a sister you have o.O

Quoting Anonymous:

conweis
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM
3 moms liked this

My sister told me, "Well if you don't want to be there fine."
So I did not go. Then she turned it around and told my mom she could not believe that I did not show up. Guilt tripping does not work on me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)