Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

insulin resistance

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM
  • 14 Replies

have any of you had or have this? if so are you on meds and how did they work for you? what diet plan did you use if any? what exercises do you do?

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I am type 1 diabetic so I may not be of much help.  I have had it for 37 years *i am 40*.  Ask away unless someone else has something better to add.

Low carb is the best for type 1 and 2's, btw.

vkp23
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Every woman diagnosed with pcos has an insulin resistance. Pcos in itself is not a stand alone condition. It is caused by the insulin resistance. I take metformin. I'd say they work pretty well. It regulates the insulin and sugar and so allows for the rest of your hormones to regulate. When I got back on it, it took just a couple days and the ovary pain I was having went away. So seems to me it started pretty quick shrinking the cysts on my ovaries. As far as diet. I don't watch the scale anymore. I just focus on eating healthy and getting regular excersize. It's really really hard yo lose weight with pcos/insulin resistance. But it isn't impossible. You will just have to work twice as hard as the average person. 

gfam6
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM

im also on metformin i take 2 a night at dinner. it sure is hard but i know i can do it. i find it hard to buy the "healthy food" with a family of 5 . may i ask what exercises do you do? i do the dance /exercises i found on utube lol

Quoting vkp23:

Every woman diagnosed with pcos has an insulin resistance. Pcos in itself is not a stand alone condition. It is caused by the insulin resistance. I take metformin. I'd say they work pretty well. It regulates the insulin and sugar and so allows for the rest of your hormones to regulate. When I got back on it, it took just a couple days and the ovary pain I was having went away. So seems to me it started pretty quick shrinking the cysts on my ovaries. As far as diet. I don't watch the scale anymore. I just focus on eating healthy and getting regular excersize. It's really really hard yo lose weight with pcos/insulin resistance. But it isn't impossible. You will just have to work twice as hard as the average person. 

gfam6
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:07 PM

low carb is so confusing to me since i have no iea what im doing lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am type 1 diabetic so I may not be of much help.  I have had it for 37 years *i am 40*.  Ask away unless someone else has something better to add.

gingerwife
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this
NOT every woman with PCOS has insulin resistance, as I have PCOS with no insulin resistance.

Despite that, I still eat a low glycemic way because if I don't than I can become insulin resistant and I'm discovering that eating a low glycemic way is what's best for my body. I can feel the differences. There are lots of information and books out there about it and it's easy to understand. It's also not a matter of low carb for some, it's a matter of eating good carbs. I plan my meals and eat every three hours.

For exercise I do workout videos for 30min a day, which are a mix of cardio and strength training.

Doing all of this made me lose weight pretty steadily and I'm still working at it. My dr. Gave me an option of going on metformin, but keeping me at the 500mg dose and not upping it like she would with other patients but I declined. I heard it woks for some though with IR. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or wanna talk!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Eat mostly meat and veggies. Done.

Quoting gfam6:

Quoting Anonymous:

vkp23
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I have other conditions that limit what I can do for working out. I have a bad back and bad joint (that would still be messed up even if I were thin. My weight didn't cause the conditions) so my doctors said swimming laps (like hard core hard and fast for cardio) and then like water aerobics were best for me to take impact off my joints and spine. I have actually dislocated joints from simple movements so high impact workouts are a big no no for me. What I did for a while, which I need to get back more strict on, was thinking of it as going unprocessed. Fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, lots of meat, and very little carbs. And what carbs you do get try yo get them as close to unprocessed as possible. Like rice and potatoes. Very little pasta and the little breads we had was whole wheat bread and whole wheat crackers and only a serving size. I love baked sweet potatoes with steak and something like cooked broccoli sticking to recommended serving sizes helps too. With losing the weight and with the cost. We are a family of five also. I have heard the paleo diet is pretty good. I have considered looking into it. It's basically a low to no carb diet. Lots of protein. 

Quoting gfam6:

im also on metformin i take 2 a night at dinner. it sure is hard but i know i can do it. i find it hard to buy the "healthy food" with a family of 5 . may i ask what exercises do you do? i do the dance /exercises i found on utube lol

Quoting vkp23:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Think meat, cheese, pork, salads, chicken, skim milk, eggs, etc.  I would talk to your Dr again, you should take the metformin 2 times a day, lke one pill in the morning, and one 12 hours at night. 

Quoting gfam6:

Quoting Anonymous:

gfam6
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:18 PM

thank you for the list of foods. well i am to take 2 at supper even the bottle says that. but i will mention it when i go back in a few weeks

Quoting Anonymous:

Think meat, cheese, pork, salads, chicken, skim milk, eggs, etc.  I would talk to your Dr again, you should take the metformin 2 times a day, lke one pill in the morning, and one 12 hours at night. 

Quoting gfam6:

Quoting Anonymous:

gfam6
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM

im hoping to get some swimming in this summer in our pool. i will try the sweet potatoes that way thanks. i feel better since taking meds and think i have maybe lost a few inches not sure though

Quoting vkp23:

I have other conditions that limit what I can do for working out. I have a bad back and bad joint (that would still be messed up even if I were thin. My weight didn't cause the conditions) so my doctors said swimming laps (like hard core hard and fast for cardio) and then like water aerobics were best for me to take impact off my joints and spine. I have actually dislocated joints from simple movements so high impact workouts are a big no no for me. What I did for a while, which I need to get back more strict on, was thinking of it as going unprocessed. Fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, lots of meat, and very little carbs. And what carbs you do get try yo get them as close to unprocessed as possible. Like rice and potatoes. Very little pasta and the little breads we had was whole wheat bread and whole wheat crackers and only a serving size. I love baked sweet potatoes with steak and something like cooked broccoli sticking to recommended serving sizes helps too. With losing the weight and with the cost. We are a family of five also. I have heard the paleo diet is pretty good. I have considered looking into it. It's basically a low to no carb diet. Lots of protein. 

Quoting gfam6:

Quoting vkp23:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN