Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I believe in "victim" blaming.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
2 moms liked this

I use the word victim very loosely. You and only you are responsible for your safety. When you refuse to use basic common sense and place yourself in unsafe situations. You deserve any and all consequences.

For example, there is a category 3 hurricane on the way. Your area has been given a mandatory evacuating but instead of using common sense and getting the heck out of dodge you decide to "bunker" down and wait out the storm. Well, hunny I don't feel sorry for you if something happens to you. You aren't a victim, you're an ignorant fool. Furthermore, I think if you fail to use your common sense and place a minor in danger you should be charged accordingly. As well as, have to pay for any rescue attempts to save you.

Another example, You're driving a car. You've decided that wearing a seat belt is to uncomfortable for you. Then out of no where a drunk texting asshole hits you, you fly through your window and are paralyzed. I don't think the drunken idiot should be charged for your injuries or have to pay for them. Since you decided to place yourself in danger by not wearing a seat belt.Charged for drunk driving and texting sure but not for the injuries caused by your lack of sense to wear a safety device that has been proven to save lives.

Another example, you're out swimming in the middle of the night. There is no life guard and the under tow pulls you under. You aren't a victim of drowning, you're just a dumbass who failed to use common sense and paid the price. I feel no pity  for you. Your family and loved ones, of course! But for you, nope!

I think people should be held accountable for their actions. You do something stupid, place yourself in an unsafe environment, you pay the price for it. You aren't a victim. Own up to your mistakes!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewStepMom373
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this

These are very bad examples of what you call victim blaming-  these are instances where someone has chosen to remain/act a certain way despite the knowledge of danger. Victim blaming is a specific term that has developed around things like assault, sexual attacks, child sex abuse, etc. and to blame anyone who has been assaulted or abused sexually or otherwise for what happened to them is totally unacceptable and dangerous.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
The examples you provided aren't victims. Victims are people who suffer bad things that are outside their control (sudden weather , earthquakes, attacks by criminals).
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Quoting NewStepMom373:

These are very bad examples of what you call victim blaming-  these are instances where someone has chosen to remain/act a certain way despite the knowledge of danger. Victim blaming is a specific term that has developed around things like assault, sexual attacks, child sex abuse, etc. and to blame anyone who has been assaulted or abused sexually or otherwise for what happened to them is totally unacceptable and dangerous.

I've seen people be called victims in all of those situations and I think it's crap. Use common sense and you wouldn't be a "victim."

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you in those situations.  However, when it's the case of someone else perpetrating a crime against you, then the criminal is the one to blame. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM
This

Quoting NewStepMom373:

newfound09
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Yes people need to be accountable for their own actions but when they are a victim at the hands of some one else...well...there's only so much they can do. thieves will steal wether something is locked or not. Some rapisst will rape some one else whether that person is drunk or not.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Blah blah blah
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Quoting B1Bomber: The examples you provided aren't victims. Victims are people who suffer bad things that are outside their control (sudden weather , earthquakes, attacks by criminals).

I completely agree with that! However, I've seen people in these situations be called victims and I don't think they are.

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Nice roundabout way of saying it's someone's fault they're attacked.  Just insert reasons A, B and C and the attacker is no longer held responsible, right?

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM
You seen?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting NewStepMom373:

I seen people be called victims in all of those situations and I think it's crap. Use common sense and you wouldn't be a "victim."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)