Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't understand how some people believe in God

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  • 723 Replies
30 moms liked this

Don't get me wrong, if you do, more power to you. I don't have an issue with that. I guess my mind just doesn't work that way. I was raised Catholic, and I was suspicious right off the bat. I mean, a virgin getting pregnant? Dude walking on water? Turning water into wine, raising the dead, all that stuff just didn't make any sense to me. And the Old Testament was just plain vicious! Plus, don't even get me started on all the atrocities committed in the name of religion. 

I guess I'm just too logical. I don't believe in something I can't see. There is some proof Jesus may have actually existed, but no proof he was "the son of God". And what makes people so sure THEIR god is the only one out there, when different religions believe in different deities? Hell, even people who believe in the same god can't agree on what story to believe (Protestants, Catholics, Baptists, etc).

All I know is, if a woman today would tell her fiancee "So ummm.... I'm a vrigin, but the Holy Spirit just impregnated me", there are very few men who would fall for that.

So, if you are religious, is it just because that's what your parents taught you, or how did you come  to believe?

Again, I'm sorry if I offend anybody with this, I really just can't wrap my mind around it.  

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
witchqueen
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:06 PM
16 moms liked this

I tried to wrap my mind around it for 30 years and finally gave in to truth and logic.  I've been an atheist for 20 years now.  I don't understand it either.

momma-of-three3
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:06 PM
I agree, I don't understand either.
the_dude
by abides on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM
8 moms liked this
Right there with ya... could have wrote your post... just sayin...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I agree with you. I just don't get it either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM
10 moms liked this
I believe because I got healing from something that can't be cured ever.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM
11 moms liked this
I was raised Lutheran, I wandered a bit in my 20s, after I had DS at 30, I rejoined the church. I'm very progressive. I believe in the Love and Grace of God. I believe the Bible is a book of stories written by fallible men in an ancient world. It's not a historical document or the Word of God taken down verbatim.
momto2boys973
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM
I believe in G-d, but not Jesus.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Me to I don't understand it lol
Anouck
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

So I would imagine you were studied by doctors then, right?

Quoting Anonymous: I believe because I got healing from something that can't be cured ever.

WindBlownOracle
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:12 PM
18 moms liked this

Leave them be. They are allowed to use their minds to process and accept the reality that best suits them, just as we are allowed to do the same by not believing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN