Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Prom ticket cost and kids who can't afford it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 608 Replies
Prom season is coming. Dd school has a charge for the tickets( I'm sure most schools do) and she has heard some of the "poor kids" complaining about it. This is her first prom so I have never thought about the cost of it and kids who cannot afford it. What does your school do about this issue? What do these kids do about a dress, bedsides trying to borrow one? How to you regulate who is considered poor ? Some of these kids have cell phones, parents smoke and spend money on that and etc. It just got me thinking about it because we are fortunate that dd can go and get the dress she wants. Is it another rite of passage that if you cannot afford it then you shouldn't be able to go?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:59 AM
No one?
TotallyTweedles
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:59 AM
11 moms liked this
If a kid genuinely couldnt afford it all he had to do was speak to one of the faculty advisors. I never heard of them telling anyone too bad.
Loveavision
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:01 AM
37 moms liked this
My parents didn't have expendable cash when I was in school, because I had 5 siblings.

I got a job at the gas station, and saved for prom. Typically, that's the age when you can start working, right?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes it is. These kid don't work. Some of the parents don't even work.

Quoting Loveavision: My parents didn't have expendable cash when I was in school, because I had 5 siblings.

I got a job at the gas station, and saved for prom. Typically, that's the age when you can start working, right?
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:03 AM
7 moms liked this
There are fundraisiers for prom tickets, the more you sell the cheaper the tickets are.
I'd you couldnt afford a ticket then you dont go to prom.
Loveavision
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:04 AM
9 moms liked this
Sucks to be them, then,

Quoting Anonymous: Yes it is. These kid don't work. Some of the parents don't even work.

Quoting Loveavision: My parents didn't have expendable cash when I was in school, because I had 5 siblings.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM
Here if you cannot afford it you don't go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM
20 moms liked this
Our school would wave the price. The other good thing is you never hear who receives help. Our school keeps it under wraps as not to embarrass anyone. We are a small school district so the teachers / principal know who truly needs the help.
cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM
3 moms liked this
They should have got a job offer the summer and saved for it. Duh. It's what I did. We were really effing poor. Still did prom.
heidi749
by Canadian on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM
4 moms liked this

DS is no where near that age yet.. But IMO...Prom is something you should know your child will want to do, or not. I would think if you know it is something you would struggle to afford, you would start saving, and perhaps talk to the child about getting part time work, to help pay for it, that is an assumption though. I live in a small Village so any child in this situation would be known by the school probably, so I think the school would help, not for sure though...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)