Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Only children are terrible. EDITED.

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM
  • 489 Replies

Me and my wife have been discussing whether or not we want to have another child. On one hand, we would love to add to our family and provide a sibling for our daughter. On the other hand, the process was so physically,emotionally and financially draining, that we're not sure if we want to go through it again.

We mentioned possibly being 'One and done' with a friend of ours and she vehemently disagreed. She's a pre-school teacher and she says that only children tend to be poorly behaved. She says they're selfish,whiny and less independent than kids with siblings. She thinks that children need the constant peer interaction, that comes with having a sibling. We discussed it a little more but agreed to disagree.

Do you agree with the sentiment that only children behave worse?
To those of you with one child, do you plan on having more? Why or why not? 

If you have more than one, why did you decide to keep having children?

To be clear, her opinions have nothing to do with our skepticism. It's based solely on the stress that is involved in the process. I asked for opinions out of curiosity.

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TwoMomsAndBabyM
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:38 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it depends. I was an only child until I was 11 and regularly had cousins to play with so I wasn't alone all the time but I was content to play alone. I was a good kid but I attribute it to my personality and my parents than whether or not I was an only child.
heidi749
by Canadian on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM

No I do not agree, but my child is an only, so I'm biased in my thinking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM
3 moms liked this
My dd isn't exactly an only child. She has three half siblings, but they are much older than her and didn't live full time I'm our home. Now that she is 7 and they are adults, I wish she had a sibling closer in age. Not because she is selfish, spoiled, or anything like that. I just see the sibling bond that her brothers and sister have. Of course she still has one with them, but it isn't the same. I think kids behave the way you raise them, not in a certain way because they have siblings.
TwoMomsAndBabyM
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Do you plan on having more?

Quoting heidi749:

No I do not agree, but my child is an only, so I'm biased in my thinking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Having only one child sucks. And they grow up to be assholes
BostonGirl0301
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM
12 moms liked this

I was about to tell you to shut the fuck up soley based on the post name LOL. I have an only child. It's not by choice. I've had a loss and unable to concieve again. It's heartbreaking to me and even more heartbreaking to hear my child talk about being lonely and wanting a brother or sister.

DD is not spoiled or ill behaved. I rarely have to punish her. She has a personality were she hates displeasing people and loves to help. Very happy-go-lucky. Every teacher has described her as a favorite as she does what she is told, happily does her work, and always goes out of her way to help other kids. DD is very kind. Not at all what people deem a "typical only child".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Btw still haven't decided if you're just a very persistent troll or not
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM
4 moms liked this

I was an only child, and I was not poorly behaved or whiny, and I was definitely independent. My parents often got complimented on how well behaved I was, so obviously I disagree with your friend. I have two children with no plans on having more. We wanted our child to have a sibling to have someone to play with and we had them close in age. I sometimes wished I had a sibling growing up, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I think two is perfect (for us) but I don't think there is anything wrong with being done with one. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM
13 moms liked this

THe thing i've learned about only children...- they carry the burden ALONE for aging parents...i would NEVER want that burden on my one and only child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)