Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Christianity should Not be taught in Public schools because it is a book written by men based on myth"

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:17 AM
  • 470 Replies
8 moms liked this
What about Roman, Greek, and Egyptian history? Those were all mythologies written by their men based upon their beliefs in their God(s)?!
Nobody was worried about their son or daughter converting to those religious beliefs so why are people so afraid of Christianity? Yes I do know that when the teachers talk about Egyptian, Romans, and Greek Gods and Goddesses they do not preach but Teach the students all about them. Why can't we let teachers do the same with Christianity?
I find that argument should be the reason why Christianity should be taught in Public schools under Religious Mythologies in History class.
Again I ask, what are you so afraid of if the teachers teach and not preach about Christianity?

Ok so early on I was shown that some Christians would not be happy with their religion grouped with the mythologies, but my point was that during those eras of the mythologies, the people believed their Gods and Goddesses as Religions.
Why can't public schools clump all of the World Religions together and teach them to our children in Middle school since I have read a few replies stating that they were taught in High School. I don't know if a few are referring to their times in college or university as "school" or not.
So what would the Real harm be in letting our Children learn about All Religions and Beliefs including the so called "Mythologies"?

Update:
I love this debate and of course its mom confessions so there will be a few who will resort to name calling or bashing others for their beliefs. I just wanted to ask a good question and get lots of feedback both positive and negative.
I think it is great that we live in America where Everyone is Entitled to their opinions and in this case, their Differing Beliefs and Religious Freedoms. I feel that we should be able to let our children go to a Public school where All Religious beliefs and backgrounds be taught especially as early as Middle School.
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:18 AM
17 moms liked this

one phrase

Seperation of Church and State

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM
15 moms liked this

Aren't those taught as mythologies?

So you would be ok with the schools teaching Christianity as a myth? Sounds fine to me. However, since it's the most practiced religion in the US, I am smart enough to understand why they wouldn't do that. 

Anonymous
4 moms liked this

then that should apply to all religions ,even the ones in history class

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

one phrase

TB78
by Tasha on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Then the same should apply to Egyptian, Roman, and Greek mythologies pertaining to their religious aspects of the gods and goddesses. Should it not?

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

one phrase

Anonymous
1 mom liked this

In high school they do teach that,  I believe it's in the same class they teach mythology and many other religions also.  No preaching just teaching.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM
10 moms liked this

mythology is not a religion, christanitiy is

Quoting TB78: Then the same should apply to Egyptian, Roman, and Greek mythologies pertaining to their religious aspects of the gods and goddesses. Should it not?
Quoting peanutsmommy1:

one phrase

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
*bangs head on desk*
momof2girls220
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM
5 moms liked this
Seperation of church and state. You want your kid to learn about Christianity?send them to a Christian school.
TB78
by Tasha on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe that it should be taught regardless of who believes and who doesn't believe. I don't believe in the Egyptian, Roman, and Greek religious aspects but I'm not throwing a hissy fit because it is taught and I was learning about them when I was in middle school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Aren't those taught as mythologies?

So you would be ok with the schools teaching Christianity as a myth? Sounds fine to me. However, since it's the most practiced religion in the US, I am smart enough to understand why they wouldn't do that. 

momof2girls220
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM
OR...because it has no place in schools because its based on lies.

Quoting Anonymous:

because many people are afraid of Christianity

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)