Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Video of Mom 'Punishing' Her Son Goes Viral & Gets Her Arrested

Posted by   + Show Post

Video of Mom 'Punishing' Her Son Goes Viral & Gets Her Arrested

by Jenny Erikson

FacebookThere are ways for parents to keep their kids safe and out of trouble, but beating the crap out of them, videotaping it, and then posting it to Facebook is not one of them. A mom in Flint, Michigan was worried about her 11-year-old son joining a gang, so she allegedly decided to show him what it was like by whipping him on the butt with a belt and smacking his face.

Demitria Latrion Powell, 28, was arraigned for third-degree child abuse on Tuesday, along with two others that participated in the beating, Uteas Michelle Taylor, 42, and Stefon Tirrell Felton, 40. Cops say that several other people were in the room, including a baby. The boy and the infant are now in protective custody.

The disturbing six-minute video clip was uploaded to the boy's Facebook page and shared over a thousand times before officials took it down. In it, he is beaten by the two women, who warn him not to be a "thug" and to stay away from gangs. He clutches onto a chair as Powell looks to the camera and says, "Watch this ass whipping this gangster is going to get."

In what universe is this OK? These adults obviously think it's not only acceptable parental behavior, but commendable -- why else would they post it on Facebook?

This is far beyond an acceptable level of physical discipline. We can debate the merits of spanking or not spanking all day long, but this isn't spanking. The kid got whipped with a belt more than 50 times. His mother savagely mocked him. He was slapped in the face. How that's supposed to keep him out of a gang is beyond me. Seems like it might just make him long for a place where he belongs.

As sick as the video posting was, I'm glad it went up. Several people contacted the Flint police after viewing it, which led to the arrests. If they hadn't posted it, who knows what else those kids might have had to endure?

Why do you think they posted the video on Facebook?

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
mich2.0
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM
It's not THAT subjective.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's just a good old fashioned ass whooping! Just a good parent disciplining her troubled child (before the meddling goverment stepped in and took her God given rights away). And it obviously IS considered commendable in many homes and communities, which is why she had no concerns about posting it to Facebook. 

By the way, I don't really believe it's okay. But clearly some people DO believe this kind of thing is what a responsible, loving parent needs to do every now and then to keep their children in line. They DO NOT believe it is abuse and will angrily defend their right to raise and discipline their child as they see fit. "Acceptable levels of physical discipline" is a subjective term when it happens inside a private house. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I know of one dad who posted a video on Facebook with his daughter standing with her back to the wall while doing wallsquats screaming and crying. She has mental issues and was 5 years old at the time. She suffered from attachment disorders and ptsd. Since he didn't "lay a hand on her" he got away with it. To me, it was child abuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Are there often butterflies and rainbows frolicing around your head? We've seen parents right here on CM who are frustrated that they can't "discipline" their children in public because people would see them and they might have trouble with CPS (so when kids misbehave in public, they have to wait until they go home to disipline their kids in private). We've seen parents here admit to using belts, wooden spoons and even switches to spank their children, and they see NOTHING wrong with it (it's NOT a beating, honest!!!). Many parents openly complain that this generation of kids are total out of control pussies because parents are not allowed to whoop their ass when the kid deserves it. Spanking is legal in the US to a certain point, but beating children is not. So... what exactly would the parents like to do but are worried that they are "not allowed" to do? I'll tell you what they would like to do. They would like to do what our legal system considers "beating" but they would like to call it something else while insisting that they are good parents who don't beat their kids. And what do you think happens in these houses when no one is looking? Just hugs and kisses and light pats on the bottom, huh? 

And you still think "acceptable levels of physical discipline" is not a subjective term? 

Quoting mich2.0: It's not THAT subjective.
Quoting Anonymous:

It's just a good old fashioned ass whooping! Just a good parent disciplining her troubled child (before the meddling goverment stepped in and took her God given rights away). And it obviously IS considered commendable in many homes and communities, which is why she had no concerns about posting it to Facebook. 

By the way, I don't really believe it's okay. But clearly some people DO believe this kind of thing is what a responsible, loving parent needs to do every now and then to keep their children in line. They DO NOT believe it is abuse and will angrily defend their right to raise and discipline their child as they see fit. "Acceptable levels of physical discipline" is a subjective term when it happens inside a private house. 

jessica4212011
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:31 AM

They probably posted it to teach him that joining a gang is a bad idea but it severely back fired. Peoples stupidity no long surprises me.

Mommyzlovez
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:31 AM
O' my gracious!!! Poor baby!
BellaByrdie
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM

WOW.   

Probably posted it because you see a lot of facebook shaming.  THIS however sounds like they didn't get how wrong and thought they would get lauded for it. 

redmummyof3
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM

good i hope she get's her assed kicked in the slammer

stupid b#$%&

i normally dont agree with spanking but there are times when it ca be a tool

example if a three yro keeps going to a hot stove and you have removed him or her many many times and it happens contantly for a week  and they keep doing it.  a swat on a coverd bottom that is open handed and not done in anger  and not hard enough to  leave even a faint trace of a mark is fine it will stun the child but not cause injury but just get his attention is fine i would rather give the very rare swat on the bum then have a child in a burn unit just my op

but beating the crap out of a child there is no excuse and why would you do something soo stupid heartless and cruel and for something that has not even happend!!!! and having other adults join in they should all havr there kids removed permently

Rmlupin
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Saw this last night and it made me so sick.  I can't believe people treat children like this.  You can tell the mom thinks she is being a bad ass & enjoys what she is doing.  Ghetto trash! This poor boy is 10 years old, if this is the kind of crap they're willing to air to the public just imagine what's going on in private.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM

My guess is they are in a gang themselves.  Drugs may have been involved but the whole thing is just SICK!

Octobersmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Anyone who thinks that this is acceptable has no place being anywhere near children. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN