Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's your favorite dang we broke meal?

Posted by   + Show Post

Mine is hamburg gravy on mashed potatoes..or sometimes french fries. Oh and tuna noodle caserole is a cheap one too.

Even though I don't necessarily have to be poor to make this for dinner :)

What's yours?

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Replies (201-210):
Katie3621
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I live about 45 minutes from the Amish and in the summer I go stock up big time on fruits and veggies they're dirt cheap and I spend a week canning and freezing. That saves us so much.

Quoting JustCJ:

I can never find that good of prices on fresh fruits and veggies. I wish I could. We once had over 350 strawberry plants but they didn't produce enough to make one jar of jam lol.

Quoting RawToast: Agreed. I like to shop really good sales and buy a bunch of fruit and veggies that way and can it. You can do the same with meat. Such a load off your mind when you have backup, whether you are struggling at the moment or not. Anyone who struggles financially, I would recommend (when you can, it is expensive at first) getting canning supplies.
Although you can find a lot of the stuff dirt cheap on craigslist if you keep looking.

Quoting KRISTAL_WILDER:

The one i posted is actually very healthy :) Yeah the only way to do healty cheap is with frozen veggies unless there is a big produce sale.

Quoting RawToast: Creamy Ham Vermicelli. Did I spell that right? It popped up in my phone saying it wasn't a word.. Butt fuck it. Creamy Ham Vermicelli is cheap as hell, you don't have to use ham you use whatever meat you have on hand, you do not have to use Vermicelli noodles, whatever noodles you have and maybe even rice... it's always a big hit with the kids and you can make a ton of it with very, very little ingredients. That is my "We are so broke we can't afford to breathe." meal. That and S.O.S. (toast, hamburger, gravy) Those are the two cheapest meals I know how to make from scratch. If you want the ham Vermicelli recipe I've got it somewhere. Nobody breathe a word about how unhealthy and gross these meals are. Of course they are unhealthy and gross, they are dirt cheap. If you just need to eat, you just need to eat.

Howardx5
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Is that like goulash?

Quoting Sandiekd21:

Tacolash!

It's a fave around here, and my only truly good creation (I 'invented' it).

woodswalker
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Eggs and toast or pancakes

Lovemybabyboy09
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Chicken broccoli and rice casserole
RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Roasted chicken or eggs (i raise my own chickens)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowflower902
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Chilli beans and hot dogs with the chilli for left overs lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Tune Burgers

Mix drained tuna with onion, mayo, green olives. Put on a hamburger bun with cheese of your choice. Wrap burger in foil and bake in the oven until melted. This is really good with tomato soup. This is meal from my childhood.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Split pea soup and homemade bread
MommeeTo4
by &1more on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM
Mac and cheese mixed with chili
Aandie
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM
That does not sound bad, do you use the seasoning packet?

Quoting diesel_darling: Four packs of Ramen mixed with a bag of frozen stirfry veggies with a pound of ground beef.

So good and makes a ton! Feeds all five of us with a bunch left over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)