Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's your favorite dang we broke meal?

Posted by   + Show Post

Mine is hamburg gravy on mashed potatoes..or sometimes french fries. Oh and tuna noodle caserole is a cheap one too.

Even though I don't necessarily have to be poor to make this for dinner :)

What's yours?

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Replies (561-570):
nanceyk82
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I buy a whole bunch and freeze them when I see them on sale for 89 cents/lb.

Quoting JustCJ:

Chicken legs used to be cheap...not anymore. Have you seen the prices? Ridiculous.

Quoting thefiregoddess: Ramen

Or chicken legs

Lulabelle423
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Salmon patties
Cheap and healthy
ablackdolphin
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Lentils and rice

copugowner
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Ramen

Mac n Cheese

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Tomato Soup

nanceyk82
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Can I eat at your house? All of that sounds so delicious! Makes me want to become a vegetarian.

Quoting JoanahLee:

We eat pretty cheaply most of the time anyway, if we were broke we would cut down on fresh produce and such, but even when money is not an issue its not uncommon for us to inexpensive meals.  Probably because we almost never cook meat, which is the really expensive part. 

This week we had black bean and sweet potato enchiladas, home made pizza with veggies on top, hot salad (green salad, lots of veggies, spiky vinegar dressing and then add a fried egg to the top), lentils stuffed into mini bell peppers, and spaghetti with "meatballs" made from lentils. 

If we were really needing to save cash we would use some frozen veggies in the cooked stuff, buy less avocados and bell peppers and make larger portions and eat the same meal for several nights in a row. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 73 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:21 PM
I've been thinking of trying tuna noodle casserole. But I'm not sure how the kids will like it, they aren't picky eaters at all. So maybe I'll have to try your recipe.

Quoting Anonymous: How does everyone make their tuna noodle ?

I boil a bag of wide noodles, drain then add 1-2 cans of tuna, 1 large can of mushroom soup and about half a can of milk. Voila !

I also like to cook up some potato slices and add butter and seasoning salt. Serve with BBQ sauce.

Or

Rice with can of tomatoes, butter, and black pepper.
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I will put bread crumbs and some seasonings in a ziplock bag and shake chicken in it. Then put the chicken on a baking sheet and cook it in the oven. Yum!

Jasuzha
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:23 PM
Can chicken and mashed potatoes
$3 for the meal
dnoel18
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Grilled cheese and chicken soup
Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM

When you're broke the first thing to go is always the apostrophe and the r e. But seriously, pasta or rice based dish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN