Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I remember learning about religion in school

Posted by   + Show Post

I can remember one of my classmate's mom coming in to tell us about Hanukkah. And I remember learning in social studies about many religions around the world. No one ever made a fuss. It would probably be a big deal now a days. 

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
heidi749
by Canadian on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I went to a all Catholic school, Religion class was mandatory.. DS is taught religion too, just not as hard core as I was..

mjmorrison
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

intolerance comes for a lack of information. when I was in school they taught us about all different religion and customs. It helped us understand the differences and similarities between peoples.

weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I don't know why anyone would get their panties in a bunch like that

Quoting krusesbaby: Im 24 and in highschool world cultures was a class we had to take. It taught about every religion i can think of and their geographical locations. We did similaraties and differences papers etc... Only one girls parents refused to let her take it.

DW030714
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I learned about it at my church, of all places. Our youth group leader thought we should learn about different religions so we visited a Jewish temple and a Buddhist temple. We also learned about Muslims. Then I had a course at college about Eastern religion. But no mention of it in public school. I don't mind if it's taught in an academic sense. I just don't want my kids to be preached at about it.

Rlmama00
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM
I remember in 5th grade, 2 Jewish girls in my class did a presentation on why Hanukkah is better than Christmas. I cannot imagine that going over so well now, but we didn't care. We got free dreidels, so it was fine with us. My ds is in 6th grade and he just finished a section in Social Studies that involved the history if several religions. No complaints here.
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Glad to hear you don't mind him learning about them!

Quoting Rlmama00: I remember in 5th grade, 2 Jewish girls in my class did a presentation on why Hanukkah is better than Christmas. I cannot imagine that going over so well now, but we didn't care. We got free dreidels, so it was fine with us. My ds is in 6th grade and he just finished a section in Social Studies that involved the history if several religions. No complaints here.
Bertha21
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:59 PM
They have a class called history or religions. That was such a fun class!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
csxt99
by Jennifer on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is currently studying the contributions of Islam to society in her Social Studies class.  They have also done other religions and their contributions.  I don't mind about that but I have huge objections if they were to teach her that she must practice one religion or that only one religion is valid.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM

there's a difference between learning about a religion in an cultural context, and proselytizing. the former has never been illegal. 

RTMJDNTARDIS
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I agree. I remember learning about ALL the different religions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)