Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

step parent discipline

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies
1 mom liked this
I blow my mind that some of you think that step parents should never discipline a child. In some cases they have every right. No, i am not a step parent but my dh is. And he has discipline our daughter. He has every right too.

In some situations the step parent does have a right to discipline a child. It isn't always black and white.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM
I don't get that either lol

shouldn't the step parent parent?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

wholeheartedly agree!  and i'm the step-grandparent and my step-daughter will sit and watch and smile as i correct her 6 and 2 year olds.  and then she'll thank me later cause she didn't have to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Exactly

Quoting sandra_t00: I don't get that either lol

shouldn't the step parent parent?
fuzzygirl23
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:52 PM

For me it depends how long the step parent has been in the child's life, how the relationship is between the child and the step parent, and if the child and spouse see the step parent as a parental figure. I've read some stories on here that are new step parents with older step kids and they do not respect or like eachother. In a situation like that I don't like the idea of somebody giving orders to a child that does not see them as a parental figure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM

No only every right, but every responsibility. 

When I was raising step-daughters their mom told me I could not discipline them. 

Fine....I stopped being her free baby sitter. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Why does she have 2 kids if she doesn't want to be a Mom?

Quoting Anonymous:

wholeheartedly agree!  and i'm the step-grandparent and my step-daughter will sit and watch and smile as i correct her 6 and 2 year olds.  and then she'll thank me later cause she didn't have to.

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I think every situation is different.  My stepson lives with my husband and I, my husband works different shifts so he's not always around.....I could not imagine not being allowed to discipline my stepson if he needed it....

If he lived with his mom and visited us on weekends.....I think it might be a little different, but then again, maybe not....because he would still be one of my kids and in my house so....yeah I would probably still discipline him.

My husband doesn't have a problem with my stepsons, stepfather diciplining him when he's there on the weekends....

My stepson has 4 parents, and a huge part of parenting is discipline.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:01 PM
I think it's earned and not automatic upon marriage. Especially if BM is still very much in the picture.
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Agreed.  Especially in cases where the step parent is married to the custodial parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM

It is something that is between each parent and step parent. The father should have say if the step mom gets to discipline his child, and the mother should have say if the step father gets to discipline her child.

That's the way I see it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN