Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm not a free restaurant

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

My six year old son was outside playing last night. At 6:45 I called him in for dinner. My son and his friend who lives down the street were not finished with what they were doing, building some kind of fort, so since my son's homework, practice, and chores were finished, I told the boy that if he liked and if it was alright with his parents, he could stay for dinner and pick up their game afterward. I made chicken piccata, nothing crazy, just thin sliced chicken breast with a lemon sauce, capers, and a side of zucchini. First he asked if he could have a soda. I told him sorry but we don't have any, we have water, skim milk, or unsweetened tea. He went with the water.

Than we brought the dinner to the dining room table and he took one look at it and asked for something else. I told him sorry, but this is what we have for dinner. If he doesn't want it, I could walk him back home and he could come back after dinner to finish the fort. He decided that he wanted to stay. He refused the zucchini, wiped off a couple bites of chicken, ate two leaves of salad, and had a few olive oil bread sticks. As soon as my son took his last bite, he started telling him to come on and go outside. My son told him that we wait until everyone is finished before leaving the table, so the boy sat and waited. After they were finished with their fort, the boy went home. This morning at the bus stop the boys mother started complaining to me about how I starved her son and how I had no right to force her child to sit there, children can not just sit with no entertainment. I explained that he could have left any time that he wanted, our rules are our rules. He had entertainment, discussion with us. We didn't starve him, he chose not to eat. I don't understand why parents would complain about things like this. Not everything revolves around one kids wants. Its just setting him up for rude behavior.

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM
5 moms liked this

I really feel bad for you, because that conversation must have sucked.   You did the right thing and this lady is nuts.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM
2 moms liked this
That little boy wouldn't come to my house again.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I didn't really mind it, it was just insane to me. Then she was complaining how I must not understand kids because I'm a young mom, when I have more kids than she does and have been a mom just as long.

Quoting corticosteroid:

I really feel bad for you, because that conversation must have sucked.   You did the right thing and this lady is nuts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow kids are kids lol sound like you like to crack that whip lol
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I didn't mind the kid very much, he never said anything outright rude, he respected what I said and didn't whine, and while I would not allow my child to behave that way, he is still young and obviously isn't being taught proper guest manners at home, so I'm willing to give him a break. The mom on the other hand is the whiner.

Quoting Danesmommy1: That little boy wouldn't come to my house again.

2littledaisies
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have done the same thing you did. She was rude for saying anything to you and should have thanked you for letting her son over for dinner.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Not making seperate meals for picky eaters isn't "cracking the whip", it's basic table manners. I didn't demand that he put his napkin in his lap or that he eat things as they are served like I do my own kids. I just wasn't about to make him another meal.

Quoting Anonymous: Wow kids are kids lol sound like you like to crack that whip lol

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I agree with your rules.  This kid is going to be spoiled, entitled and trouble when he gets older. 

And your dinner sounds super yummy.  My 10 month old would eat it up (although we haven't given him capers or much lemon before...but he loves chicken and zucchini).

mehaffiesub
by Lil' Frog on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Your house your rules thats how it works in my house too.
corticosteroid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Quoting lenashark:

I didn't really mind it, it was just insane to me. Then she was complaining how I must not understand kids because I'm a young mom, when I have more kids than she does and have been a mom just as long.

Quoting corticosteroid:

What's really sad to me is that the kid really behaved pretty well considering his age and the difference in environment, that lady could have taken the opportunity to praise him for trying a new situation and everybody could have won.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)