Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O I will be charging my teens rent

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When my kids turn 15 they can get jobs and pay me $50 a week for living expenses.

It will then go into a savings account that they don't know about, so that when they're 18 and ready to move out on their own they will have a little money to help with the costs.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
angeleyes16
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM
I think 200.00 a month is a bit much. How would they have enough time for school to make enough money for rent and.other wants? I like your idea, but I would probably charge 100.00 a month at most.
SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM

are your kids aware what will be expected of them when they turn 15? And why 50 a week instead of 50 every two weeks? And are you prepared for them to possibly act like since they have to pay rent that they wont have to follow your rules anymore since they are paying tenants?

angeleyes16
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Oh, and I agree that you should tell them its for saving, that way they learn saving skills.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM
That's actually a really good idea. Lol
caustinb
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Why don't you just teach them to budget and let them learn to save on their own...teach them to fish or however that saying goes.
Bubsy
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Idk where you live, but in my area nobody is going to hire anyone under 16, and even then they will have a hard time finding a job. The economy still sucks, and there is more competition for minimum wage jobs than ever before. No employer is going to hire a teen, and have to work around a school schedule when there are 10 adults lined up at the door willing to do the same job with less scheduling issues. Plus $200 a month seems really excessive. And how do you plan on enforcing this? You are legally obligated to care for your children so it's not like you can just kick them out if they don't pay.

SweetMama823
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Really?!? Ok you know at 15 thats all they'll make is $50. They won't be happy about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zoo003
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Not something I would do.  Why would you not just teach them to save it on their own instead of being sneaky about it? 

Kessiemom
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I think it is crappy to make your kids pay rent before 18.

cali_gurl
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I don't think that sounds good at all. 15-18 is the last years to be a real kid. No one should have to work at 15 year round. I worked during summers only and enjoyed my high school years. Kids should focus on highschool and grades, not working a job to be paying rent at 15.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)