Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Disability for chronic pain? Advice please

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

So I've been suffering from chronic pain for several months, have had every test including experimental surgery with removal of a couple organs with no diagnosis.  I am unable to work and can barely take care of my kids.  Dh says I should apply for disability, my Dr says this is something I just have to learn to live with.

Should I apply?  Would it be difficult?  Is this something that qualifies?

Thanks for help in advance

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM
You need a diagnosis for disability unless I am mistaken.

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this pain and I wish you well.
Mrs_Q2014
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Talk to your doctor. He could advise you if you should. I would say go for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:57 PM

If you are talking about SSI, then it wil take a few times for them to approve if they do. Since your doctor says it is something that you have to learn to live with, it will be really hard to convince SSI/disablity that you are truly disabled. 

ecerka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:57 PM
If your doctor said No then it would be hard to get. Most people have many Drs backing them and are still denied the first few times.
texasma06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM

It doesn't as far as I know. My mom had tried for years to get it due to her chronic pain condition, RSD. Despite the fact she is on enough medication to knock out a horse she doesn't qualify. I also have chronic pain. Have for nearly 6 years now. You honestly learn to cope. My mother has been dealing with hers for over 20 years. She was still an amazing mother. She was and still is always there. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM

That was my plan, I go in 2 wks for a 4 wk post op checkup and am hurting as badly as when they did they surgery so I was going to ask him.  Thanks

Quoting Mrs_Q2014: Talk to your doctor. He could advise you if you should. I would say go for it.

elfling811
by Niki on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM
My medical records took 15 bank boxes to transport and it took me 3 years and a court hearing to get disability. I suggest you get an attorney. However, if your own doc is just telling to live with it, you probably have no chance. Get a second opinion. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Get a second or even third opinion. Your doctor works for you. A lot of times they just don't want to deal with the paperwork.
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:02 PM
My disability was approved last month. It took a lil over two years. I have multiple dx's that cause chronic pain. Maybe look into a lawyer? I think you may need actual diagnosis though but you can try. Lawyer can guide you in getting what you need. Good luck!
elwalters77
by The Singing Teacher on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My doctor didn't want to label me disabled at my age so I found a way to live with my disabilities. I quit my job and started working for myself at home. But if you really truly can't work at all you might seek a second opinion, get a lawyer and at least try. I didn't but probably should have.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN