Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this punishment? Time out for this long - Too much or no?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 310 Replies

My sister told me this weekend there was a big fight in their house. Her daughter is 17 and was working on an intricate diorama for her final senior science project, work 25% of her grade in the class. It's due next month but she's trying to get ahead on it and she spent literally 20 hours working on it last week. She's been doing it in one of the spare bedrooms in the basement, and my sister made it off limits to the other kids so she could spread her papers/materials out and everything.

Well, obviously when you forbid a room from a kid, it becomes forbidden fruit. Her brother is 7 and snuck down there, touched it and apparently was rough and broke it. He snuck upstairs, tried to lie about it when his sister discovered it, and was caught with that. 

For the lying, my sister took away his Xbox for the rest of the month, and after that he'll have to earn it back game by game. Sounds good to me, he's obsessed with that thing. But what I'm torn on is that my sister said his punishment for breaking it when he was told not to go in there is that while his sister makes up the 20 hours, he'll be sitting in total time out. That is, my niece spends 5 hours this Saturday working on it, he'll spend 5 hours in a chair doing nothing. 

Does this seem overly harsh to anyone? I'm torn. What he did was horrible but this is a very severe punishment for a 7 year old. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM
50 moms liked this
Harsh, but I doubt it is a punishment he will soon forget
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM
11 moms liked this
Sounds good to me. Maybe he will learn from this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM
10 moms liked this

That's a little much with that long of a time out.  Since he's only 7 chances are after the first few minutes he'll shut down and it will make it an ineffective punishment!

Texor
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM
5 moms liked this
It seems more reasonable that he would only have to sit for the amount of time it takes her to repair what he broke.
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:21 PM
16 moms liked this
I'd make him read and write an apology letter while in time out but it's fitting for what he did
proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Sounds good to me. I bet he'll listen next time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea what the diorama was of or what it looks like, but apparently with the way he broke it she pretty much has to start over. My sister said he was crying and said he tried to fix it but it just made it worse. 

Quoting Texor: It seems more reasonable that he would only have to sit for the amount of time it takes her to repair what he broke.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM
80 moms liked this

I would have had him be her assistant for 20 hours rather than sitting being non productive.   That means if she is thirsty, he can get her a drink.  She needs glue, he can get that for her.  Etc.

cymkare
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM
9 moms liked this

I think it's fine. It won't hurt him and he's not likely to do it again. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM
3 moms liked this

A time out for 7 minutes when he ruined 20 hours of work? That's getting away with murder, and if I was OP's niece I'd be furious. 

Sounds like he'll get the concept of 20 hours when he sits and watches the clock tick them by. Along with the concepts of not lying and doing what he's told. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats too harsh for a 7 yr old.  A 7 yr old doesn't understand the concept of a month or twenty hours.  It will end up being like he never had a Xbox and time out for that long?!!  Thats way too long.  I think a time out for 7 minutes and losing his Xbox for a few days and then earning it back is sufficient, after that it wont work.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN