Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of parents filming their crying kids and putting it on YouTube?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM
  • 194 Replies

Dad Slammed for Filming Daughter's 'Traumatizing' Trip Through Car Wash

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

car wash toddlerThere comes a point in everyone's life in which they find going through the car wash cool. But until that point, the car wash is flat-out terrifying. It's a lightless, noisy machine of a room where giant floppy, sudsy monsters try to get into your car so they can swallow you whole. Horrifying.

Most kids are freaked out the first time they go through the ol' car wash, despite the fact that mom or dad go with them, and one dad, Max Gibbons, happened to catch his adorable daughter's reaction on film.

No, she didn't like it. Yes, there were tears. And yes, her parents put it on YouTube.

Check it out:

Kind of adorable, kind of ... sad? When it comes to videos like these -- videos in which a child is sad, scared, upset, drugged up -- we're a nation divided on whether it's cute and funny, or cruel and exploitative. A lot of the comments on this video are from people who find the video sweet. But, because this is the Internet, there are some of the other variety, as well.

One commentor wrote:

Why would anyone find this acceptable, the fact that this is recorded and placed on youtube reflects the mind set of the parent, who clearly knew what suffering this would cause. Is this not just cruel or are viewers happy to see a child suffer like this?

While another said:

This is not cute, she is absolutely petrified, her body is clearly shaking with fear.

And yet another remarked:

This is sick....The child is utterly terrified of the car wash and you stupid STUPID people put her in the car and RECORD her terror...what the hell is wrong with you...

I reached out to Gibbons to see what he thought of the backlash, but haven't heard back.

Despite the fact that you can't win doing anything with your kids when you put it on the Internet (seriously, film your child eating a lollipop and some yahoo will threaten to call CPS on you), is this a little, well, not nice?

I don't doubt for a second that this little girl's mother and father are good parents and kind people, but I don't know. I don't think I ever could film my daughter in a situation where she's scared like this as opposed to comforting her. It's a different school of thought, and no, I'm by no means saying that I'm a better parent (maybe you are? maybe your kid will grow up to be tough while mine will be scared of everything?). But for me, personally, it doesn't feel right. And it's more about the filming than putting it up on YouTube. Something would just feel off to me about holding a camera in my daughter's face when she was afraid. (No, I didn't make her sit on Santa's lap.)

I would never write a nasty comment about this sweet little girl's parents on a blog or on YouTube, just because, as I said, this isn't something I would do. Because someone's parenting style isn't the same as mine, I'm fully aware it doesn't make them a bad parent. We're much more nuanced than that, and moreover, I think we all need to be more accepting of each other's styles (yes, including myself). Because what does make us crappy parents and bad examples for our kids is harshly judging someone every time they disagree with you.

What do you think of parents filming their crying kids and putting it on YouTube?

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I video taped a tantrum my DS had over bedtime and put it on facebook, it was damn funny!

WaitingforApril
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:55 AM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't watch it. It's not cute and it would make me upset.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter was the same way.  It never occurred to me to film it and put it on youtube. A lot of stupid people are posting stupid s#it on youtube.

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM
30 moms liked this

I expected the video to be much worse from the way it was described. The mother is clearly trying to comfort the little girl. In the end the little cutie is excited and laughing because "they did it." She hardly seemed traumatized. It seems like people are making a mountain out of a mole hill yet again.

cybcm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Sharing videos of your child crying because they are scared is a 'parenting style' now?

What? The asshole parenting philosophy or something?
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly this.. mom was obviously trying to help her overcome er fear.

Quoting Aislin:

I expected the video to be much worse from the way it was described. The mother is clearly trying to comfort the little girl. In the end the little cutie is excited and laughing because "they did it." She hardly seemed traumatized. It seems like people are making a mountain out of a mole hill yet again.

jlbelknap35
by Jessica on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Lol there have been some tantrums I wish I video taped, they are so rediculous they are funny. Like last night we went to Dave and busters and my son got mad cause there were tickets coming out lol. 

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Hate it.  

MonarchMom22
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM
4 moms liked this

crying is a normal response to stress for children.  How would an adult feel if they were under stress, having an emotional response to the situation, and their SO thought posting a film of them upset was "funny" ?

I don't get it.  treat your children with respect.  Just my opinion

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

me too!!!!!!!

her body was not shaking in fear. lol

Quoting Aislin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)