Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why are healthy people attacked?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 154 Replies

I don't get it. Why are people who are healthy so viciously attacked? 

My husband and I have transitioned to veganism, following the lead of our son who didn't like to eat meat at all! I have tracked our daily intake to be sure we are getting enough calories, protein, vitamins, etc. Our average calorie intake, by the way, is 2,000 - 2,500.  My slim husband is sustaining weight while I'm losing the leftover post-baby weight at a steady pace.

So why is that a problem?

Someone offered some food to my husband at work.  He declined, explaining he was vegan.  He didn't go into detail or tell anyone else to follow him. A couple people asked him questions, and now it has turned into people telling him we all NEED meat and dairy. We must be starving. We arent getting enough nutrients. Blah blah blah.

please tell me, WHY do people care so much?? Why are fruits and vegetables being attacked??

and then I saw this : http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/170913/mom_gives_birth_to_healthy?next=1#commentBox

seriously??

so please, enlighten me. Why is one option for health so viciously attacked?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM
IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't think they are that viciously attacked.

I try to keep us eating healthy, try to avoid GMOs, hormones and antibiotics in food as much as I can, limit our meat intake..yadda yadda. Some people roll their eyes, some people say 'you can never avoid it all, what's the point!?', some people disagree completely that I'm helping my health at all.

Some people will give you shit about it, it's a passive aggressive way to deal with the fact that they wish they were taking the initiative to be healthier while you are. Or they just think they're right, you are wrong and they want to argue.

Who really cares? People will give you shit no matter what you do, might as well just do what you want and shrug it off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM
6 moms liked this

The woman in that article wasn't just following a diet.  She was extreme.  She'd have weeks where the ONLY food she ate was mango, for example.  There is no way her baby got a steady dose of proper vitamins when limited to only one food...unless the baby was stripping nutrients from her.  At which point it's her health on the line.

I believe people across the world and through generations have subsided on vast varieties of "extreme" diets.  Nomadic Mongolians existed almost entirely on tough wild grains and cheeses from their livestock.  The only time they ate meat was the random rabbit, or when a pack animal finally died.  Some Alaskan tribes eat primarily nothing but animal fats, with little access to plant based foods.  Tropical areas the people lived off many fruits.  Those close to the beach ate almost entirely from the sea.  An African tribe exists to this day eating almost nothing other than the root of a specific plant.  And they are all healthy.

History and science shows us that the more varied an organism's diet, the more likely it is to survive.  However, someone on an extreme diet can easily choose to eat more if the need arises.  If there is a global catastrophe and it's "Eat this rabbit or die" even a vegan is likely to choose to eat rabbit for survival.  A die-hard carnivore (like my Grandpa) would eat boiled cattails for weeks on end if it meant survival.

I don't believe in harassing someone over their choices.  But I do think people need to be smarter about their choices.  I see many "vegans" who become malnourished and sickly because they don't know HOW to balance what their bodies need with what is available to them.  I also see plenty of "meat eaters" who are ingesting far too much meat and suffering from health issues that way.  Whatever your choices, just be careful of the balance.  We need proteins.  But proteins, in our lovely developed country, can come in many forms that weren't available to our ancestors or to others in the world.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Raw vegan isn't as extreme as people think.

Quoting Anonymous:

The woman in that article wasn't just following a diet.  She was extreme.  She'd have weeks where the ONLY food she ate was mango, for example.  There is no way her baby got a steady dose of proper vitamins when limited to only one food...unless the baby was stripping nutrients from her.  At which point it's her health on the line.

I believe people across the world and through generations have subsided on vast varieties of "extreme" diets.  Nomadic Mongolians existed almost entirely on tough wild grains and cheeses from their livestock.  The only time they ate meat was the random rabbit, or when a pack animal finally died.  Some Alaskan tribes eat primarily nothing but animal fats, with little access to plant based foods.  Tropical areas the people lived off many fruits.  Those close to the beach ate almost entirely from the sea.  An African tribe exists to this day eating almost nothing other than the root of a specific plant.  And they are all healthy.

History and science shows us that the more varied an organism's diet, the more likely it is to survive.  However, someone on an extreme diet can easily choose to eat more if the need arises.  If there is a global catastrophe and it's "Eat this rabbit or die" even a vegan is likely to choose to eat rabbit for survival.  A die-hard carnivore (like my Grandpa) would eat boiled cattails for weeks on end if it meant survival.

I don't believe in harassing someone over their choices.  But I do think people need to be smarter about their choices.  I see many "vegans" who become malnourished and sickly because they don't know HOW to balance what their bodies need with what is available to them.  I also see plenty of "meat eaters" who are ingesting far too much meat and suffering from health issues that way.  Whatever your choices, just be careful of the balance.  We need proteins.  But proteins, in our lovely developed country, can come in many forms that weren't available to our ancestors or to others in the world.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM
True. It just blows my mind. I even got a nasty message from someone after sharing a smoothie recipe on facebook...

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

I don't think they are that viciously attacked.

I try to keep us eating healthy, try to avoid GMOs, hormones and antibiotics in food as much as I can, limit our meat intake..yadda yadda. Some people roll their eyes, some people say 'you can never avoid it all, what's the point!?', some people disagree completely that I'm helping my health at all.

Some people will give you shit about it, it's a passive aggressive way to deal with the fact that they wish they were taking the initiative to be healthier while you are. Or they just think they're right, you are wrong and they want to argue.

Who really cares? People will give you shit no matter what you do, might as well just do what you want and shrug it off.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Eh. Truth is people from ALL groups will be attacked. If you eat healthy someone will attack. If you eat crappy you will be attacked. It's silly and petty IMO. Live and let live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

That's why "extreme" is in quotes.  I doubt the Mongols or Inuits consider their diets extreme, but to the average person around here, it is.

Quoting Anonymous: Raw vegan isn't as extreme as people think.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Good point. Thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

That's why "extreme" is in quotes.  I doubt the Mongols or Inuits consider their diets extreme, but to the average person around here, it is.

Quoting Anonymous: Raw vegan isn't as extreme as people think.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM
3 moms liked this

My only issue comes when people who are Vegan try and convince other that our bodies are not designed to eat meat which is unilaterally untrue. 

Mommina
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I feel like people are kind of jealous/too lazy/don't like change..so they put it down instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)