Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

head start is so dumb!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies
My son has watery eyes in the mornings. I think its allergies. Anyway, one day his head start principal called me and tells me he needs to be picked up early because he has pink eye. I send my sister because I am working and she gets there and they have him sitting down all isolated while the other kids are playing during recess time. Get this, his eyes were fine. Then the week after that they didnt let him in because of his cough. The kid coughed ONCE and rubbed his nose lol they said he had to go home. Then last week they had me pick him up early again because he has "pink eye" this time they asked for him to be seen by a doctor before he can come back to school. So fine I call and make an appointment. The only thing available was for today. So the entire week he didnt go because we didnt have a doctor's note. The school's family worker came to my house yesterday and gave my mom a letter (I was working) the letter says that I have until 4/21/14 to report to the school with a doctor's note or else they can start a case against me for neglect. From 4/14 to 4/18 the school will be closed due to spring break so thats why my deadline is 4/21. They say its neglect for me to keep my son away from school and not take him to the doctor when they first requested it. Well hello I had to set an appointment I mean I wont take him to the ER just for watery eyes. He is perfectly fine. His appointment is in an hour. I cant help it if his pediatrician has other appointments. Im a bit scared that they threatened with filing a case for neglect. I didnt know they can do that just because I didnt take him to the doctor right away. His eyes are fine its just in the mornings that they are watery. I tried to explain that to them but they didnt listen.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM

That is a little ridiculous.

Have you tried putting a humidifier in his room? That might help with the morning watering. They might just be dried out; both DS and I have issues with our eyes and sinuses drying out overnight and a cool-mist humidifier near the head of the bed helps a lot.

TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Withdraw him? He is not required to be in school until he is 5.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:44 PM
My eyes water a lot in the mornings. I have 'Dry Eye'. I use lubricating eye drops at night. No more watery eyes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM
I might give that a try. Honestly I just didnt think it was a big deal.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Have you tried putting a humidifier in his room? That might help with the morning watering. They might just be dried out; both DS and I have issues with our eyes and sinuses drying out overnight and a cool-mist humidifier near the head of the bed helps a lot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM
I do want to withdraw him but now im scared so I wont withdraw him until I go back to his school on the 21st with my doctors note.

Quoting TexanMomOf6: Withdraw him? He is not required to be in school until he is 5.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

It's ridiculous but yes they can do that bs. Since you're already going to the doctor don't worry about that but let doctor know what's going on so they can back you up if asked about it. I'd do what the school requested then look for another early education program. They clearly are going to keep pulling that stupid junk and you don't need the hassle. Head Start is not required anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Head start is just another way the govt can keep tabs on welfare parents and their children. Don't lower yourself to the mercy of these people. Go to your doc appt and then withdrawl your son.

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM

It's not, but they don't know that. I can see why they would be cautious about it, it's just a little weird that they are trying to punish you for doing as they requested. Dryness can be very itchy/irritating though - which might explain the watering - so even without them being difficult it could still benefit him to find a solution. It just sucks that you have to deal with them in the meantime.

Quoting Anonymous: I might give that a try. Honestly I just didnt think it was a big deal.
Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Do you think they can prescribe something for him? He is only 4 years old.

Quoting Anonymous: My eyes water a lot in the mornings. I have 'Dry Eye'. I use lubricating eye drops at night. No more watery eyes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Aparrantly having a bowel movement in the bathroom at head start is diarrhea. Yea my child missed a day because her stomach was hurting and she had to use the bathroom. Head start seems to forget they are nothing but a glorified daycare center.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)