Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Annoyed with my daughter. Re: college graduation dinner

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 446 Replies
3 moms liked this

My daughter is graduating from college at the end of May. I'm so proud of her, but I'm a bit annoyed at her planning right now.

Her dad's parents are rich and offered to have a celebration. She picked dinner for the family and her best friends. I'm remarried and my ex and I get along pretty well, so it'll be joint. I have a 3 year old son and while she loves him, they've never lived together, so I don't think she gets what living with a small child is like.

She sent the email invite today. It's at a fancy steak and sushi restaurant. No kid's menu. Cheapest meal is $25 and absolutely nothing my son will eat. No problem, I figured. I called and asked what options they have for children. The guy talked to me like I was from outer space and said "...the menu...?". 

I also don't know if I want my son around people drinking with dinner (my husband and I don't, my ex does and my daughter and her friends do) but I have no one to leave him with- we don't live near family and I don't have a sitter. 

I'm annoyed she didn't call and have me help her plan this so we could have picked a more everyone friendly place. Would you say something to her to try to make it more inclusive? If not, what can I do? I don't think I can make my 3 year old sit quietly through a long meal with food he won't eat, and I don't want to embarrass her. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM
35 moms liked this
Ummm...no, just no. Hire a babysitter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM
55 moms liked this

Where did you want her to have her college graduation dinner? Chuck E. Cheese?

Your kid won't eat steak, potatoes or veggies?

He can't sit and chat with some breaks outside and trips to the bathroom with you and his dad every now and then?

It seems you've got problems, and your daughter's supposed "poor planning" (lol) isn't one of them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM
6 moms liked this
She is an adult and would like to celebrate like an adult. So she should be forced to go to APPLEBEE'S?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM
5 moms liked this
I've seen a post like this before, interesting
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM
4 moms liked this
This night is about your daughter. Do what you can to find someone to watch your 3 yr old.
RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM
6 moms liked this
I can't imagine a a steak and sushi house having nothing your son can eat.....

and the day is about her....

I guess I'm just not understanding.... Have your some eat a full dinner before hand and order him an appetizer or salad..... Bring crayons and paper....
katydid150
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM
13 moms liked this

It is her celebration dinner. Get a sitter.  Why should she tailor her celebration to the needs on a three year old she doesn't even have a tight bond with?

mjmorrison
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM
5 moms liked this

it's her dinner not yours, get a babysitter.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I was *just* about to say this. But I thought it was a birthday dinner in the one I've seen. Coulda been graduation tho.

Quoting Anonymous: I've seen a post like this before, interesting
hma1216
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM
7 moms liked this
I would hire a sitter. Your three year old will be miserable. And graduating college is a big deal. She should be able to pick where she wants to eat dinner
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN