Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DS got suspended at school over his cell phone

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 382 Replies

My sons phone went off in class. The teacher demanded that he give the phone to her. He said no because he didn't want them to take his phone and for me to have to come pick it up

The phone was in his backpack when it rang so he wasn't even using it or anything he thought he had turned it on silent.

When he refused she sent him to the principal and he still wouldnt give it up so he is suspended for 2 days.

I think the punishment is pretty extreme...yes his phone shouldn't have gone off but it wasn't like he was using it. If they didn't have their parent pick up policy it wouldn't have been as hard as he worked after school and needed his phone but I wouldn't have been able to get it until monday. All just a big stupid mess

ETA so I am not repeating myself over and over

My DS talked to both the teacher and the principal about the situation. He was willing to give them the phone until he found out a parent HAS to pick it up.  He explained to them that he needed his phone for work and could not give it to them knowing he would not have it over the weekend

My DS is a grown adult we are talking about....he lives on his own in his own apartment. I think the parent policy is silly for an adult as there is no reason why he shouldnt be able to pick up his own phone. 

He made his decision and he is dealing with the consequence

ETA2: he is required to have his phone for his work. He is in construction and must have it on him at all times at work

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Look at it this way. The teachers are like your DS boss. He wouldn't listen to them so they sent him to the CEO (principal). They can't fire him so they suspended him. They are preparing him for the real world. Although ill give you this, if this was the first and only time that his cell went off at school, I think they are being kind of harsh.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:40 AM
1 mom liked this

He should have had it switched off or on silent. I don't agree with the school's confiscating phones; but my child (special needs) needed her phone on her at school, so I signed the form and told her that if she got it confiscated she would be in a LOT of trouble. I also put a lock on it so that it wouldn't send/recieve anything bar me or 911 between the hours of 8 and 3. I'm assuming you and your son signed forms upon enrollment? He knew the policy and he chose to break it. The suspension is right and he would be punished in my home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:42 AM
I understand they don't want phones going off and he gladly would have given the phone to them if he could have got back at the end of the day but there was now way he would go all weekend without the phone

Quoting Anonymous: Look at it this way. The teachers are like your DS boss. He wouldn't listen to them so they sent him to the CEO (principal). They can't fire him so they suspended him. They are preparing him for the real world. Although ill give you this, if this was the first and only time that his cell went off at school, I think they are being kind of harsh.
zoegirlsmom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I bet he turns it off or silences it from now on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:44 AM
It usually is on silent the phone is supposed to automatically do it and he thought hs checked.

We didn't sign any forms for him to have his phone..

Quoting Anonymous:

He should have had it switched off or on silent. I don't agree with the school's confiscating phones; but my child (special needs) needed her phone on her at school, so I signed the form and told her that if she got it confiscated she would be in a LOT of trouble. I also put a lock on it so that it wouldn't send/recieve anything bar me or 911 between the hours of 8 and 3. I'm assuming you and your son signed forms upon enrollment? He knew the policy and he chose to break it. The suspension is right and he would be punished in my home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:44 AM
I hope he double and triple checks now.

Quoting zoegirlsmom:

I bet he turns it off or silences it from now on.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:46 AM
15 moms liked this

He was defiant to those in charge.  Acceptable punishment to me.  He didn't get suspended for the phone,he got suspended for the defiance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:46 AM

So you didn't sign any forms stating that you had read and undertstood the policy regarding cell phones and what would happen if one was found to be on/in use in class?

Quoting Anonymous: It usually is on silent the phone is supposed to automatically do it and he thought hs checked. We didn't sign any forms for him to have his phone..
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:48 AM
There technically is no policy on it going off during class only that you can not use it during class time

And now we don't sign anything for it just read the handbook

Quoting Anonymous:

So you didn't sign any forms stating that you had read and undertstood the policy regarding cell phones and what would happen if one was found to be on/in use in class?

Quoting Anonymous: It usually is on silent the phone is supposed to automatically do it and he thought hs checked.

We didn't sign any forms for him to have his phone..

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:48 AM
3 moms liked this
He wasn't suspended over his phone. He was suspended for disobeying a teacher.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN