Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Confessions of a GameStop manager ETA (again)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I guess I'll join in on the confession trend. Plus, there's things you gamers, mothers of gamers, and wives of gamers need to know.

I really DO judge you, harshly, when you're buying Grand Theft Auto for your 10 year old. When I ask, "are you aware that this game has a mature rating for language, violence, sexual content, and drug use?" and you just say yes like all is well, I wonder...

I am NOT a babysitter! I'm not okay with your brat playing the playstation demo while you get your nails done!

I know it's your husband. I see you glaring at me. I have no shame in flirting with him if it means an up-sale.

I am not tech support. I don't know what's wrong with your Xbox. I am also not a strategy guide. I don't know what you need to do half way through Dishonored.

Most of the crap I recommend, I've never played. I've just heard enough about it to be able to pretend. You'd be surprised how many games I sell off personal recommendations that have never been in my house.

I'm not giving you my discount, stop trying to be my friend.

You Pokemon nerds are weird.

I can't change the value of your trade-in. I know you paid $60 for it and I'm offering you $7. There really isn't much demand for the CoD that you bought 5 years ago.

I work 60 hours a week. I have two kids, a husband, and a life. I'm not even a gamer besides PC gaming. I have one system and I play about 2 hours of games per week (usually Minecraft with my kid).

Edit: I love my job. I love the super passionate gamer nerds. It's not all negative.

We have to legally tell you about the rating if you have a kid with you and we will ID you if you look under 30.

'Flirting' means smiling and laughing. I don't act like a whore. I wouldn't be a manager if I did. I don't initiate it, that would be stupid. If a guy starts acting flirty I do it back. It's called making the sale and it works. I've turned a $60 purchase into a $300 purchase many times. It works. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. I'm happily married. I don't want your man.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Replies (601-607):
JulietAngel89
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:50 PM

ok, different country so I am not an idiot lol Just trying to get a grasp on the rating laws there :)

Quoting Anonymous: No you just have to be 17+ to buy the game. We just ID if someone looks under 30 just to be safe.
Quoting JulietAngel89:

Do they have to be over 30 though? or they just have to look over 30 to not have their ID looked at?

Quoting Anonymous: It's just company policy. Like getting carded for cigarettes or alcohol.
Quoting JulietAngel89:

why do you have to ID if they look under 30?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 96 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:35 AM
It cool u love ur job.. i love mine as well.. I understand u have to ask questions and do ur part.. but the flirting part I dont under stand.. i get flirted with all the time but i do not flirt back.. its very unprofessional.. I do let my son play GTA.. but he plays it under adult supervision and knows he's not to do missions and not to go into any bulidinga but his safe house.. he like me just likes to shoot ppl and steal cars.. he knows the diff between real life and games and he Is 7.. I kno a lot of u moms dont agree with my choice.. but if he knows what to so and not to do I give him a chance if he fails then I take his game away he has done good for over a y ear with his games.. plus its my kid i kno how to raise him to b an outstand young man..
MiSs.SmOkEy
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:41 AM
I love our gamestop. I love talking to the workers, but they are all gamers. I spent an hour talking to a girl about dragon age, the manager I always talk to about elder scrolls even more now that ESO is coming out. I love the gamestop by my house, but I have been going there for years. They go out of their way to help you, they are amazing.
MiSs.SmOkEy
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:44 AM
I let my 6 yr old play online with a girl I've known for 2 years. They drive around and follow the traffic laws. Some times she will get him a police car and let him pull her over. Its cute and he's not really interested in the violence he just likes the driving and chasing her in a police car.

Quoting Anonymous: It cool u love ur job.. i love mine as well.. I understand u have to ask questions and do ur part.. but the flirting part I dont under stand.. i get flirted with all the time but i do not flirt back.. its very unprofessional.. I do let my son play GTA.. but he plays it under adult supervision and knows he's not to do missions and not to go into any bulidinga but his safe house.. he like me just likes to shoot ppl and steal cars.. he knows the diff between real life and games and he Is 7.. I kno a lot of u moms dont agree with my choice.. but if he knows what to so and not to do I give him a chance if he fails then I take his game away he has done good for over a y ear with his games.. plus its my kid i kno how to raise him to b an outstand young man..
ReaperChick87
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:48 AM
I'm a slackers mom. My son and husband look through games and i look at posters and cds. I have been looki.g for a zombies ate my neighborhood games that is impossible to find. i love my sega. but I'm always looking at the comics for my son. Or a good avenged sevenfold cd or the icp hellz pit Cd. slackers has a way better selection. But the game stops around her have a bunch of stoners that work there and they never seem to help me when i need it so i go to the best place in town
MissMossyOak90
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Idr what I typed. My iphone makes me sound stupid a lot. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Quoting Anonymous: Winned?

Quoting MissMossyOak90: The guys flirt with me in GameStop always have even when I was a minor and yet they never winned...poor guys
Anonymous
by Anonymous 57 on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Just wanted to say, I just got back from Gamestop with a "free" strategy guide. I also bought the game. The reason it was free? Someone brought in a barely used one, and because I get along so well with the gamestop employee, and they can't resell used strategy guides she gave it to me, knowing I would put it to good use. So yes, there are great knowledgeable gamestop employees. At least here.:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)