Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

need punishment advice/input

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
Caught SD trying to sneak outside yeaterday while I was trying to take a nap. She is 7 and I told her I was going to nap for an hour and a half yesterday afteroon and she could play outside after I got up. I caught her red handed half way out the door with her bike. Im really ay a loss of how to adress this. We had a long talk about why it was dangerous and how its important to follow rules. I also told her she couldn't play outside today. Her dad wanted to spank her but i told him i didn't feel that Would help the situation. Is one day of no outside enough? What would you suggest? Do different?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM
4 moms liked this
I'd ground her for a week, and I would take away her favorite thing. She would be doing chores too. For my son (if he did this) he would stand in the corner, which he hates,so it is an effective punishment. What is something she HATES to do?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Why are you napping while you're responsible for young children?
catngabsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Spanking doesn't solve anything! Grounding to the house for a few days will though, along with some in house chores to remind her of the punishment and the crime!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
literally NOTHING phases this child longer than an hour or two. Thats why I told her dad he shouldn't spank her. It is very ineffective. Taking away tv would probably upset her the most, but that means she literally wouldn't be able to come out of her room since her dad just HAS to have it on if he is home, even if he isn't watching it.

Quoting BekahBrownEyes: I'd ground her for a week, and I would take away her favorite thing. She would be doing chores too. For my son (if he did this) he would stand in the corner, which he hates,so it is an effective punishment. What is something she HATES to do?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this
She 7, perfectly capable of playing in her room or watching tv for an hour. My other 2 have no problem.doing this. To answer your question because for 1 i have a newborn baby, less than a month old. I also work from 230am to 1 pm. When I get home he is leaving for work. So yes i usually take a late afternoon nap. She is 7, not 3. She was specifically told not to go outside

Quoting Anonymous: Why are you napping while you're responsible for young children?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM
It certainly doesn't for her. Some kids it works well for. Im really not a fan unless the situation is extreme and i know it will help.

Quoting catngabsmom: Spanking doesn't solve anything! Grounding to the house for a few days will though, along with some in house chores to remind her of the punishment and the crime!!!
Scarpetta71
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I agree with het dad! The fact she didn't actually get out of the house is irrelevant. Leaving without permission is very serious and the what ifs are endless. I think one day of no out side play is not enough. If I was you, beings y have decided not to spank I would take her bike and free play privileges away for a full calander month. Print off a calander for her so that she can tick the days. Obviously she's going to need outside play but I would supervise at all times and not allow play dates. You may think that's a bit harsh .. When your only contemplating a day .. But honestly she broke a serious rule.

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM

At 7 she should be able to handle being in a house with a sleeping adult.  In a safe neighborhood, they should be able to play outside too, though not against their parents'/guardian's wishes. 

Quoting Anonymous: Why are you napping while you're responsible for young children?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM
I do.think it needs more addressing than just 1 day of no outside play she will get that at school regardless. I do like the calender idea

Quoting Scarpetta71:

I agree with het dad! The fact she didn't actually get out of the house is irrelevant. Leaving without permission is very serious and the what ifs are endless. I think one day of no out side play is not enough. If I was you, beings y have decided not to spank I would take her bike and free play privileges away for a full calander month. Print off a calander for her so that she can tick the days. Obviously she's going to need outside play but I would supervise at all times and not allow play dates. You may think that's a bit harsh .. When your only contemplating a day .. But honestly she broke a serious rule.

Bluerose1482
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd take her bike away for the rest of the month.  

Also, if she can't be trusted to obey a simple request, like don't go outside while I nap, I'd make a rule that she can't go outside unless an adult or a responsible older sibling is there to watch her.  I might try letting her go outside again after a couple of weeks, but I'd make her check in frequently.  Like set a timer to go off every 5 mins and when it goes off she has to come in and check in.  If she doesn't, I'd make her go inside for the rest of the day and possibly the next day depending on the time.

I her not being able to go outside caused other problems (like she was annoying her older siblings or whatever), I'd structure her time.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)