Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bogus/fake debt collectors

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

I just got a bill from an attorney saying I owe our city fire dept $800. Idk what for. I have not had any ambulance rides. The couple times I went to the hospital the bill came in under the hospitals name. And for a totally different amount. I've called 911 at my old apt twice. One was because my son was choking and by the time they got to our place he had spit it up and they listened to his breathing, had me sign a paper, and left. That was our local township fire dept not the city. The other time was to turn our alarm in the hallway off because no one could reach it. Again the local township fire dept and not the city. All those were a yr ago and I never got any bills from either of them. Why would I get a debt collector after a yr without getting bills/notices? I looked up the law firm who was sending them they had a site but was kinda short on their about and info. I found 2 reviews. One said she had an interview and when she walked in it kind of looked like a drs office and not anything you would associate with a law firm. Someone else said they tried to get ahold of them and when they called the firm the woman couldn't even answer his questions. Other than that I couldn't find anything. When I searched the number on the paper it came up as a restaurant. I can't call the firm or fire dept since it's Saturday. Does this sound fishy to you?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babie113
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

yes it does to me

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

yes very fishy

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Try searching them on Rip Off Report or other similar sites.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM

keep looking online

blue.chairs
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Yes. I wouldn't even worry about it. My grandma got something like that, claiming she owed towing fees. She wasn't in the city or state they claimed she was in. Just scammers.
navywife0204
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM

sounds like a scam to me...

Bluerose1482
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Contact the original debtor and inquire what the bills are for.

MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Yes, it sounds fishy.  I would contact the non-emergency number for the city fire department and they should be able to tell you if you owed a bill.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I'm going to on Monday because it's closed until then. The whole thing is ridiculous. Lol

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Contact the original debtor and inquire what the bills are for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, is warning consumers to be on the alert for scam artists posing as debt collectors. It may be hard to tell the difference between a legitimate debt collector and a fake one. Sometimes a fake collector may even have some of your personal information, like a bank account number. A caller may be a fake debt collector if he:

• is seeking payment on a debt for a loan you do not recognize;
  • refuses to give you a mailing address or phone number;
  • asks you for personal financial or sensitive information; or
  • exerts high pressure to try to scare you into paying, such as threatening to have you arrested or to report you to a law enforcement agency.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)