Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The World Doesn't Revolve Around Your Kids

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM
  • 180 Replies
93 moms liked this

Seriously, you can't expect everyone around you to cater to your children or how you raise them.

Living in relative's house with their adult children?  They're allowed to do adult things and have guests over whether you like it or not.  Don't like it?  Find another place to live or invest in a lock on the door if having "strangers" in the house bugs you.

Out at the beach that has topless women?  Get the hell over it or don't bring the kids.

Adult child planned a dinner that doesn't suit a toddler's tastes?  It's not "poor planning" on the adult child's part nor is she obligated to make alternate restraurant arrangments to suit her younger sibling's food tastes.  Pack something for the kid, find a sitter or just plain don't go.

This whole expecting the world to accommodate your kids and your parenting style is beyond ridiculous.  It's not everyone else's responsibility.   

by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM
I often take my own food to family dinners and such. I'm the only diabetic in the family and often can't eat the foods Nd desserts the make. My husbands family is Italian and huge on pasta, but I can't eat much pasta. But, since I'm the only diabetic, they tend to forget.

If I know their making something our two year old wont eat (there's not much she won't eat) then i take something she will eat..
funlovinlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree!!

MrsViau
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed very much!!!

Quoting randi1978:

Seriously, you can't expect everyone around you to cater to your children or how you raise them.

Living in relative's house with their adult children?  They're allowed to do adult things and have guests over whether you like it or not.  Don't like it?  Find another place to live or invest in a lock on the door if having "strangers" in the house bugs you.

Out at the beach that has topless women?  Get the hell over it or don't bring the kids.

Adult child planned a dinner that doesn't suit a toddler's tastes?  It's not "poor planning" on the adult child's part nor is she obligated to make alternate restraurant arrangments to suit her younger sibling's food tastes.  Pack something for the kid, find a sitter or just plain don't go.

This whole expecting the world to accommodate your kids and your parenting style is beyond ridiculous.  It's not everyone else's responsibility.   

Bluerose1482
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Agreed.

KatLee42513
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
11 moms liked this
My favorite is parents at work pawing their work off on child free coworkers or expecting employers to cater to your every need just because you do have children. Just because you are a parent does not mean you get dibs over everything
BIMOM21
by Andi on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Agreed
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL, that too.

Like the one who had her kids with her at work and when a co worker brought a sick dog, it brought an end to catering to the parent.  Every freaked out and said the boss needed to be more accommodating to the parent who couldn't trouble themselves to find adequate childcare!

Quoting KatLee42513: My favorite is parents at work pawing their work off on child free coworkers or expecting employers to cater to your every need just because you do have children. Just because you are a parent does not mean you get dibs over everything

sunangel803
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM
5 moms liked this
Awwwww, dang it, seriously the world doesn't revolve around my kid? I'm heartbroken!!

Just kidding. I agree, OP. Not every situation in life is going to be kid friendly. Either suck it up and roll with it, find someone to watch your kid, or don't go. It's that simple. No wonder kids are growing up to be so entitled.
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM
3 moms liked this

True in most situations, however the exceptions are: 
1.  Your "adult" children binge drinking and fucking in mommy's house feet from child relatives, disgusting beyond belief by the way, just so mommy can be involved and feel young still.

2.  Bringing your nasty sick germ infested dog to work because you refuse to grasp that it's an animal and if needs care, it needs to be at the vet.  She only brought the dog to work as a big fuck you to the parents who were bringing their kids 1 day a week and who weren't in the dog owners way.

3.  Adult meals, if there is such a thing, is a tricky one.  When you have a dinner and invite people, it's common courtesy among decent, not trashy people, to ask what your guests like or if anyone has any food allergies or is diabetic.  It's also courtesy to take into account if children will be there.  No one said you had to serve "kid meals" just remember you don't get say fuck it, I don't care what you think, in a social situation that you initiate.  Not difficult understand as well as being a decent human being. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)