Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

edit to add: Is this ridiculous? (grandparents watching kids)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 424 Replies
Ok ladies I need your advice.

When me and ex dh got divorced he wasn't paying child support so the state helped me with daycare. I only had to pay 169.00 a month for full time. Ex dh finally started paying child support a year later. Well it came time for me to 're apply and I make too much money so they cut off my daycare assistance. It would be 900 a month for full time. There is no way I can afford that on my salary and make it worth me working. I was talking to my mom and she said she would help me out and watch them for 400.00 a month.

This is where I think it is ridiculous. I work at a hospital so I work 12 hour days 2 days a week. All my mom has to do is watch them Wednesdays and Thursdays and she takes and picks up my oldest from school, which I'd 15 mins away. Do you 400.00 a month for 2 days a week is reasonable? She said she needs it for gas. I know for a fact it doesn't cost that much in gas to take my daughter to and from school.

Edit for people who don't read responses:

I came on here looking for opinions. I have never one time said that I didn't value my mom's time. I understand it takes up two of her days to watch my kids. I also understand that she is saving me 500.00 compared to what my daycare charges . I guess I was wondering if people thought that was a reasonable amt for a grandparent to charge to watch her own grandkids after saying she would help me out to get back on my feet. I have also never stated that I expected her to watch them for free

And for others asking about the dad. He pays 400 a month child support. He has seen the kids maybe 6 times this whole year. He never ask about them and we very rarely talk about what is going on as far as school and daycare goes. I don't think he would be willing to help me out. I don't think it's fair I had to rearrange my life and schedule and he never has to be inconvienced, but hey that is life.

Anyway I just wanted to say I am very greatful for the help she is giving. And I can also see things now from both perspectives. Thank you for all the replies.

Edit to add for everyone who thinks im being an ungrateful bitch.

The 900 dollars that daycare was going to charge was for 5 days a week 12 hours a day. If you do the math than you would realize my mom is actually charging more than they would charge. If they were able to let me bring my kids only 2 days a week I would actually have saved about 50 dollars. So just because she is my mom, no I don't think she should watch them for free, but at the same time I don't think she should charge more than a daycare.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM
5 moms liked this
Beggars can't be choosers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM
I mean I do agree with that, but at the same time she should be fair about the situation. Why take advantage of your child?

Quoting Danesmommy1: Beggars can't be choosers.
Howardx5
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM
13 moms liked this
She can charge whatever she wants. She's trying to do you a favor. Grandparents dont equal free sitters or overly cheap sitter. Pay her $400 or pay a daycare $900.
Steph84FL
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes that seems unreasonable to me
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry, but she is doing you a flavor, either accept it or look somewhere else.

Quoting Anonymous: I mean I do agree with that, but at the same time she should be fair about the situation. Why take advantage of your child?

AbelsMommy01
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM

WillTimsmom
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I would agree to the $400 / week if she keeps them overnight on Wednesday night.  Then you would get a break.  How old are your kids?

She could also use the money to provide meals to the kids the 2 days she has them.

eztwins
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM
3 moms liked this
Idk I think 4.00/ hr for child care is pretty good. I can't even find a teenager to babysit for that.
Howardx5
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM
14 moms liked this
Charging you under half what the daycare would is TAKING ADVANTAGE of you? You got way too used to the entitled PA mom lifestyle if you seriously believe this.

Quoting Anonymous: I mean I do agree with that, but at the same time she should be fair about the situation. Why take advantage of your child?

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM
4 moms liked this
That's actually a very reasonable rate, probably the best you will find. It's just a little over $2 an hour per kid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)