Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

the working poor

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
2 moms liked this
We are the working poor. You know the group of people who make to much for help but not enough to much of anything.

Well dh and I, we are looking to move. The area we live in; well lets say it isn't the best. So I was looking on craigslist in our town and surrounding towns. Not to much in our price range. But I like to Window shop. So I would see houses that rent for $1200 to $1700 a month way above our price range. I will click just to look at the pics.
I am reading and these house accept section 8. Wtf.I am not a pa basher. I am actually a supporter but damn. Why is it the government will pay for families to rent these houses when a lot of us who work our asses can't even do it. Yea I know people on pa work too but damn.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:18 PM
I got nothin
Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
:/
i... Yeah. Ok, well I'm sorry that... You're poor?
I mean ok I'm out.
Good luck on finding a house.
(these post are always bloody awkward!)
mehaffiesub
by Lil' Frog on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Wow here where I live section 8 only covers places where rent is 800 or lower wow.
indiamom3
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry mama.  Been where you are ~ kept working until it got better.  I hope it will for you too!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Quit your job then apply for PA and have a nice house and etc.
FelineTopic
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
The people who own these homes apply or whatever to allow section 8 in. They get the rent from the renter, plus something from the government to do this. And I believe they get a tax deduction for this as well...

At least that how that works here...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree, with paying 1500 a month towards housing, the government could afford to house three families. Honestly, instead of paying all this they should build more government housing and save billions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM

There are tens of millions of families in your same situation in the US.  The forgotten class as I've heard Elizabeth Warren and some others refer to them as. The group that makes too much for assistance, usually just a few hundred a month before taxes, but not enough to cover all the actual cost of living that has to be paid. No help with medical, but must have it. No help with rent or mortgage, but most have a roof over their heads. No help with food cost, but must by food. And all the other things that we all have to pay for on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Landlords do not apply for Hud vouchers. They simply have to say yes I will accept it or no I wont.

If the home rents for $800... Hud calculates how much the tenant wilm pay and Hud then pays the difference each month. For example, if tenant is ordered to pay $300 Hud then pays $500.

Quoting FelineTopic: The people who own these homes apply or whatever to allow section 8 in. They get the rent from the renter, plus something from the government to do this. And I believe they get a tax deduction for this as well...

At least that how that works here...
momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM
I'm in your shoes now. Hope it gets better for u
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)