Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How can we change this in our society?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 124 Replies

OP: was called "What are your thoughts- abuse?" :::: Personally, I think over feeding the wrong foods and extremely unhealthy diets are neglectful. What are your thoughts?

***eta

How would you like to see society change to help educate people about proper nutrition? What help would you like to see happen for those suffering from food addictions?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not touching this one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:54 AM

No? I think childhood obesity is a valid concern. If parents don't take percautions and feed their children healthy, balanced meals (not necessarily vegan) wouldn't that be neglectful? 

Quoting thefiregoddess: I'm not touching this one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:57 AM
7 moms liked this
Every vegan I've ever met is such a self righteousness, nosey, annoying prick.
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:58 AM
8 moms liked this
Obesity is a disease. Maybe genetic, certainly a mental health problem.

They have shown food to be as addictive if not more addictive than hardcore drugs in obese people (vs addicts with the drugs)

Difference is you have to eat every day for the rest of your life.

Personally I think it's poor parenting to give your toddler mt dew in a sippy cup and let them eat pounds of cheetos but at what point does it cross into abuse or neglect I can't say.

We don't know enough about obesity to make that distinction to say it was neglect or caused with malicious intent.

Quoting Anonymous:

No? I think childhood obesity is a valid concern. If parents don't take percautions and feed their children healthy, balanced meals (not necessarily vegan) wouldn't that be neglectful? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:00 AM

That's nice. I included in one reply that a well balanced meal doesn't have to be vegan.. look beyond that. I'd like your opinion on the question at hand -- is over feeding with the wrong foods and not providing a healthy, well balanced diet neglect?

Quoting Anonymous: Every vegan I've ever met is such a self righteousness, nosey, annoying prick.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:02 AM
No.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's nice. I included in one reply that a well balanced meal doesn't have to be vegan.. look beyond that. I'd like your opinion on the question at hand -- is over feeding with the wrong foods and not providing a healthy, well balanced diet neglect?

Quoting Anonymous: Every vegan I've ever met is such a self righteousness, nosey, annoying prick.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Very valid points, and I agree that junk food can be highly addicting!

But where do the addictions come from?  If a parent provides a well balanced, healthy diet and the child becomes fond of a certain fruit or vegetable, then there's no problem.  If they are provided with junk food on a regular basis and even fall into the habit of consuming it when they're sad or angry, that addiction and emotional eating of junk food will absolutely happen.

If a child is raised on a healthy, well balanced diet from the start and educated on the benefits, I would think they'd be less likely to fall into a food addiction, no?

And I appreciate your mature input, this is the type of discussion I'm looking for. (Seriously, honestly. No sarcasm. thank you.)

Quoting thefiregoddess: Obesity is a disease. Maybe genetic, certainly a mental health problem. They have shown food to be as addictive if not more addictive than hardcore drugs in obese people (vs addicts with the drugs) Difference is you have to eat every day for the rest of your life. Personally I think it's poor parenting to give your toddler mt dew in a sippy cup and let them eat pounds of cheetos but at what point does it cross into abuse or neglect I can't say. We don't know enough about obesity to make that distinction to say it was neglect or caused with malicious intent.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:07 AM

This is the definition from Dictionary.com

ne·glect

[ni-glekt]  Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to pay no attention or too little attention to; disregard or slight:The public neglected his genius for many years.
to be remiss in the care or treatment of: to neglect one's family; toneglect one's appearance.
to omit, through indifference or carelessness: to neglect to replyto an invitation.
to fail to carry out or perform (orders, duties, etc.): to neglectthe household chores.
to fail to take or use: to neglect no precaution.

You honestly feel that leading a child to obesity through a poor diet (I am not talking about genetics) is not neglectful? Would you mind explaining your point of view on a deeper level?  I'm interested in hearing your side.
Quoting Anonymous: No.
Quoting Anonymous:

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:07 AM
Lol.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM
No problem.

The thing is let's pretend it was taken to court about an obese 4 year old who had an obese family.
The case against them was that all.they eat is prepackaged foods, fatty foods, take out, snacks etc.

Sure it's a crap diet. But how do they prove that it wasn't ignorance on the part of the family to feed the child what everyone else eats and grew up eating?

I'm completely on.board with tackling obesity, especially in children but I have personally met children who couldn't identify a tomato, cucumber, or corn on the cob. (Those were inner city kids in food deserts in poorer areas, if it's relevant)

It's just hard to prove its not ignorance but instead negligence.

Quoting Anonymous:

Very valid points, and I agree that junk food can be highly addicting!

But where do the addictions come from?  If a parent provides a well balanced, healthy diet and the child becomes fond of a certain fruit or vegetable, then there's no problem.  If they are provided with junk food on a regular basis and even fall into the habit of consuming it when they're sad or angry, that addiction and emotional eating of junk food will absolutely happen.

If a child is raised on a healthy, well balanced diet from the start and educated on the benefits, I would think they'd be less likely to fall into a food addiction, no?

And I appreciate your mature input, this is the type of discussion I'm looking for. (Seriously, honestly. No sarcasm. thank you.)

Quoting thefiregoddess: Obesity is a disease. Maybe genetic, certainly a mental health problem.

They have shown food to be as addictive if not more addictive than hardcore drugs in obese people (vs addicts with the drugs)

Difference is you have to eat every day for the rest of your life.

Personally I think it's poor parenting to give your toddler mt dew in a sippy cup and let them eat pounds of cheetos but at what point does it cross into abuse or neglect I can't say.

We don't know enough about obesity to make that distinction to say it was neglect or caused with malicious intent.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN