Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So this whiny kid came into the restaurant where I work the other night...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 232 Replies
315 moms liked this

Mom and Dad came in pushing a stroller with their whiny little, Im gonna guess, two year old.  Wasnt she being whiny. They looked around, as it's a seat yourself and I greeted them and told them to have a seat wherever they'd like. Mom looked kind of frustrated and panicked as she asked if she could rather just look at a menu. 

I asked her if she were planning to eat in or take out and she looked at me, almost in tears, "well, we were hoping to eat in, but..." and looked over at the kid, who dad was trying to control. 

I totally know that look, everyone on here should. That "I just wanted ONE night with my family not at home" look.

So, it was slow, my section wasn't full, so I grabbed some crayons and knelt down at the little girl, "Hey, do you want to color? Why dont you color while mom and dad pick out some food" And it worked, she calmed right down. I asked mom and dad if they'd like to sit while they looked over the menu, and if all else failed I could have the food boxed up if she started acting up again. 

I took her some crackers, more crayons, and she sat there and behaved BEAUTIFULLY during appetizers, salads and the main meal... She made a little bit of a mess, that mom tried to clean up, but I told her not to worry about it, and to go enjoy the rest of her night while the little one was still behaving, "It's close to closing, I'll get to the mess when I get to it, you all were great and Im really happy you got to enjoy your meal"

Got a nice tip off of it too, but I didnt do it for a tip, I did it because Ive been in her shoes. I've complained on here about people I encounter as a server... and have been told what a shitty waitress I must be for venting on an anonymous board... Just thought I'd throw a positive story in for a change.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:30 AM
10 moms liked this
You are wonderful. I've been there.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:31 AM
35 moms liked this

Nice to change a person's entire day with a few simple actions, isn't it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:33 AM
4 moms liked this
You're awesome! I love when people try to do little things to improve a persons day :)
embrigmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

That was nice of you. Sounds like you really helped them out.

indymom72
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Awesome!! :)  Just what that momma needed!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean. I was a server most of my life. It feels so good to help out your fellow man and give some peace and understanding to others.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Good for you!

I've had servers who also realized my youngest was hungry and cranky so they went above and beyond to help out. That's why we go back to certain restaurants!
thetrollcat
by Meow on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM
12 moms liked this

good things happen to people that do good things fur others meow

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Positive attitude often equals positive outcome.
IfTheTiaraFits
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM
You are a sweetheart!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)