Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms of kids with allergies, what's the most ridiculous thing anyone ever said to you?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM
  • 211 Replies

If you're a mom whose kid suffers from an allergy, whether it's one of the well-known allergies like peanuts or something less common like fabric softener, you've probably heard something like "He'll grow out of it" or "I'm not changing my kid's lunch just for you!"

What's the most ridiculous thing anyone has ever said to you about your child's allergy?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I don't have anything for food allergies but when I was younger my dad used to make me mow the lawn when he didn't want to do it....I'm highly allergic to grass and trees and pretty much everything that grows in the ground. I broke out in hives terribly and sneezed for about 3 hours straight, after showering and changing clothes and keeping the grass covered ones in the laundry room in the basement. He said "oh she'll grow out of it. if she went outside more often it wouldn't be so bad".

I'm 25 and it is just as horrible as it was when I was 12.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM
I was told his diet was 'too restrictive'. Um, yes. For a very good reason!
lissadavis
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Just a little can't be that bad

ladyvamp5489
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Nothing so far about my childs, BUT i get weird looks when i inform people im allergic to ALL fruits and most vegis and the few vegis i CAN eat HAVE to be WELL cooked!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I abide by anyone whose child (ren) have allergies. With that said my oldest DD who is 6 can't really do chocolate or juice. I wouldn't call it an allergy but it causes loose bowels and stomachaches. Both my mother and sister think I am a terrible mother because I don't allow her those items. Her words "How can a child ever go without? That's just mean!" While it's notlife or death it's nothing to take lightly...
alc4evermom
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM
My son's allergies are environmental and he has asthma so no one has ever said anything. I have food allergies, and I think the public portrays people with allergies as difficult because so many people act difficult. I was a server for ten years and I have also studied nutrition, so I people got on my nerves even more lol
myshoes
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM
4 moms liked this
Never heard of that either, so I'd probably look at you weird the first time. (I had a weird look on my face as I read the post).

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

Nothing so far about my childs, BUT i get weird looks when i inform people im allergic to ALL fruits and most vegis and the few vegis i CAN eat HAVE to be WELL cooked!

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Well that honestly is the first time I have every heard this one before.

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM

my kids have celiac disease, and we have actually been pretty lucky about it. most people are very responsive and supportive.

but this year at a class party someone had brought store bought cookies and frosting. (not saying that in a judging way, just explaining the set-up) the woman just kind of shoved the frosting container at me and told me to look at the ingredients. i started to, and then realized it didnt matter because she couldnt have the cookie.

so i said, "oh, it's no big deal. We dont have a cookie for the frosting, so the frosting doesnt need to be gluten-free".

she snapped at me, "yeah, i figured YOU would have brought one."

i just kind of stood there for a second. 1) i DID bring gluten-free treats. i ALWAYS do and i make it clear i DONT expect everyone else to. i just didnt make cookies that time around, i made muffins. 2) i didnt even know this lady, that she was coming to the party, or that she was bringing cookies and frosting. so how was i to know to bring a cookie? 

soontobemommy22
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM

my sons allergies are environmental, food and cats and dogs! The worse thing that I have heard was that its my fault that he is allergic too all those things. Well there was a time that I started to believe it! I thought to myself what could  I done to make my child this way! but I have learned its not my fault! He is so strong for being 4 and having all these allergies he's a champ!

his big allergies are peanuts and eggs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN