Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you have went in anyway?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
I have two dogs. One is a 95 lb mastiff pit mix and the other is a 6 lb yorkie mix. My big guy isn't very dog friendly so he stays home most of the time. Earlier I was killing time and figured I would bring my little dog to the dog park. She's 8 months old. (Yes she's fixed and has all her shots)

I try to bring her at least once a week. I want her exposed to other dogs and other people. (My mom got her sister and doesn't bring her anywhere so she's scared of everything)

Anyway I get to the dog park and this woman comes running out to me and says something along the lines of "my dog Buddy is terrified of other dogs and if you come in he'll probably attack your dog...but it's your choice"

I left but was kind of annoyed because I purposely don't bring my big dog there because I know his temperament... Why would you bring a dog that's not friendly to other dogs? I was telling dh about it and he said he would have went in any way. There was no way I was going to chance it. Her dog looked like a lab mix. At least 40 or 50 lbs.

For clarification: there is only one dog park in my city and it's not sectioned off with areas for big dogs and small dogs.

Eta: this is mostly just a vent.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I would have gone in, but kept my dog leashed at first to see how the other dog behaved.

I agree, if you know your dog is not going to handle it well, don't take them.  However, dogs need to learn somewhere.  If she was there with a group actively working on socializing her dog, I would be more understanding.  As it sounds, she was just trying to hog the park.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:58 AM
There was nobody else there. Just her and her dog. Maybe she did just want the park to herself.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I would have gone in, but kept my dog leashed at first to see how the other dog behaved.

I agree, if you know your dog is not going to handle it well, don't take them.  However, dogs need to learn somewhere.  If she was there with a group actively working on socializing her dog, I would be more understanding.  As it sounds, she was just trying to hog the park.

wexfordmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I would have stayed and just walked in the opposite direction they were in with my dog on the leash.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM

are there rules posted at the dog park? Ours clearly state that agressive dogs are not allowed and owners are responsible for any damages caused by their pet. If there are no rules posted I would call your parks department and inquire about getting some up. 

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM
No I wouldn't. It's not worth the chance of my dog being hurt. My dog got in a fight with a dog I was sitting (they didn't tell me she had been in other fights), it was 2 surgeries, a week in the vet, a month to recover, over $2,000 in vet bills. He almost died. I would not risk putting my puppy through that again.

That B!+€h should not have an aggressive dog in public.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN