Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it 'shameful' to be a SAHM? ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 707 Replies
30 moms liked this
I always thought it was a wonderful thing to be able to stay home with my kids. Recently I've been getting crap for it. People telling me I should have a back up plan (my plan is to stay married to the love of my life), get a degree, have a career, etc. Since when is it a bad thing to be a SAHM?

Edit: I understand that death can happen, to anyone, suddenly. That's why we have life insurance. I don't plan for 'what if he leaves me?' Call me stupid but I have a wonderful marriage with a wonderful man.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2gmp2
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm not ashamed.
kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not ashamed. It was my choice to stay home with dd. No one is forcing me
redneckmama4
by Loree on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM
4 moms liked this
Since everyone is all up in everyone else's business nowadays!
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM
16 moms liked this
Always have a backup plan.
sunsetchick34
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not ashamed. I thinks its great that we can afford for me to be with my kids. Don't be ashamed of ur choice.
rugratwrangler
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not ashamed. I am blessed to be able to stay home and raise my kids. I enjoy it.
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM
37 moms liked this

There are naysayers no matter what you do. Working moms get told they arent "raising" their kids. SAHMs get told they need to work or have a "backup plan".... You can never please everyone.

I am not ashamed to be a SAHM. It is what is best for MY family and I love doing it so I just ignore the BS.

shalynoel
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this

What she said! haha I get a lot of heat from my SAHM friends about working. They think I'm jealous because they get to stay home. Maybe I like my job and still love my kids the same. No matter where we are, at work, or at home, we're all moms and we all love our kids!

Quoting redneckmama4: Since everyone is all up in everyone else's business nowadays!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:45 PM
12 moms liked this
It's not shameful but some people don't understand that a person has value beyond their education and career. To those people, money is the only thing that gives a person value. It's sad.

Although I do agree with you getting a degree. It's a good thing to have and does make you a more well rounded person.
jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:45 PM
7 moms liked this
Sometimes I feel a little bad about staying home. In my circles everyone is a working mom. But I'm just not comfortable sending the babies to daycare. I'll return to work when they go to school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)