Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Unschoolers, a question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 727 Replies
2 moms liked this
How did you make the leap into unschooling? Did you have doubts or worries? Did your spouse readily agree or did it take some convincing? I am homeschooling my kids. We are very relaxed, on the cusp of being unschoolers, but I am finding it hard to make that leap. The more I read and learn, the more I really want to do this for my children. I am also not sure how to get my husband on board. He likes having a curriculum to fall back on, you know? Advice and experiences appreciated :)
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuchAKillJoy
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:40 AM
I don't know if we even have any unschoolers on here honestly...
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol, what makes you think that? I know of at least two by name and I am sure there are more I don't know.

Quoting SuchAKillJoy: I don't know if we even have any unschoolers on here honestly...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:43 AM
10 moms liked this
What the hell is an unschooler?
SuchAKillJoy
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
The outright lack of replies and the fact that someone just asked what the hell it even is.

Quoting Anonymous: Lol, what makes you think that? I know of at least two by name and I am sure there are more I don't know.

Quoting SuchAKillJoy: I don't know if we even have any unschoolers on here honestly...
SuchAKillJoy
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM
4 moms liked this
Unschooling is an educational method and philosophy that rejects compulsory school as a primary means for learning. Unschoolers learn through their natural life experiences including play, household responsibilities, personal interests and curiosity, internships and work experience, travel, books, elective classes, family, mentors, and social interaction. Unschooling encourages exploration of activities initiated by the children themselves, believing that the more personal learning is, the more meaningful, well-understood and therefore useful it is to the child. While courses may occasionally be taken, unschooling questions the usefulness of standard curricula, conventional grading methods, and other features of traditional schooling in maximizing the education of each unique child.

(Yes I was lazy and just lifted it from wikipedia.)

Quoting Anonymous: What the hell is an unschooler?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM
2 moms liked this
So that must mean that NOBODY here unschools? Could it mean that only a small percentage do? I would think that is more likely than none. In fact, I know that to be the case :)

Quoting SuchAKillJoy: The outright lack of replies and the fact that someone just asked what the hell it even is.

Quoting Anonymous: Lol, what makes you think that? I know of at least two by name and I am sure there are more I don't know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM
6 moms liked this
I doubt any sane parent would do that.

Quoting Anonymous:

its when the child runs the home and decides what he/she learns for school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM

There are but they are not active in this group. Well the ones I am familiar with anyway. I know there is one who would offer support and advice if OP were to ask in the Current Events group. OP you should also ask this in the home school groups here. I hope you get some answers.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM
How old are your children?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this
Not quite. You are describing 'radical unschoolers', although even those kids don't exactly 'run the household'. A better way to describe it is interest driven learning.

Quoting Anonymous:

its when the child runs the home and decides what he/she learns for school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)