Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should a 5 year old have a cell phone??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 343 Replies
11 moms liked this
I just saw a commercial for a Sprint phone designed just for kids. It's called Sprint WeGo. It targets kids 5 and up. Are you kidding me??? The only time I could see a 5 year old needing a phone is IF the parents are divorced or if they go to a private sitter after school. Neither is the case for my kids. I have a 12, 10, 7, and 5 year old. None of them have phones and none of them will until they can drive.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM
8 moms liked this

Sure..might as well encourage more brain cancers in the young...they dont' get enough radiation as it is

ajdahd13
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't get a cell phone for anyone under 10. I could understand for kids who have divorced parents, that way they could have constant contact to both parents, but otherwise that's just silly.
latsyrk
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't really see a point..... but my 10 year old does have a cell phone. Its basic and can only call/text ten pre assigned numbers. Its really convenient for us for him to have it with all the sports he plays
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this
What age do you think kids should have cell phones? I think 15-16. They can't take the phones to school here. So having them in case of emergency at school is a no go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I got my daughter a phone at 14.  That because *I* needed her to have it.  (She was coming home from school for an hour alone.)  But my now 13 yr doesn't have one because she doesn't need one.

Five is WAY too young IMO.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I can see it in cases like you described above.  Not just for the kid to have a phone, but a situation where they might really need to be able to contact someone they know.  I know a lady who got her children (6, 8, and 10) those kid phones before a cruise vacation, but she only activates them for vacations and Christmas shopping when they might get split up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids won't have one before 6th grade, though I'd prefer to wait until high school
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids play two sports each, but I don't see the need for cell phones because of it.

Quoting latsyrk: I don't really see a point..... but my 10 year old does have a cell phone. Its basic and can only call/text ten pre assigned numbers. Its really convenient for us for him to have it with all the sports he plays
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM
4 moms liked this

thats pretty stupid of the school...think  back to the school shootings/stabblings, and how students could call their parents in that time of tragedy, and let their parents know they're safe and alive...id' send a cell to school with my kid any day, to ensure their OWN safety, because the school can't take care of 1000 kids at once. 

Quoting Anonymous: What she so you think kids should have cell phones? I think 15-16. They can't take the phones to school here. So having them in case of emergency at school is a no go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Yep. I know. :/ but they are banned in schools here. You get suspended. They're trying to get it changed to letting them have them but not use them. So they'd have to be off/silent, but would be there should someone need them in case of emergency.

Quoting Anonymous:

thats pretty stupid of the school...think  back to the school shootings/stabblings, and how students could call their parents in that time of tragedy, and let their parents know they're safe and alive...id' send a cell to school with my kid any day, to ensure their OWN safety, because the school can't take care of 1000 kids at once. 

Quoting Anonymous: What she so you think kids should have cell phones? I think 15-16. They can't take the phones to school here. So having them in case of emergency at school is a no go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)