Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did you have your baby after age 35?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM
  • 159 Replies

Savannah Guthrie just wrote on her blog how at 42 years old, she "honestly didn't know if I'd ever get this chance" to have a baby. She says she was "afraid to even let myself think about how much I hoped to one day have a baby."

If you're also a mom who delivered at 35+ years old, what are some of the things you feared or worried about in regard to getting pregnant, your pregnancy/delivery, and also being an "older" mom? (Could be anything from worrying that you'd have trouble conceiving to not making it to your kid's wedding or other milestones.)

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I had my son at 38. My only worry is that I die to early leaving him alone. But in reality every parent probably has that fear.
fiddlerbird555
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM

40 & 42. My doctor wanted me to go to a fertility clinic before I even properly tried to conceive. Phhht!

Actually, my big worry now is employment. I'm not sure anyone would hire an over-50 if I lost the current job, and baby needs a college fund. I had to move cross-country, away from what relatives we've got to keep this job. (1 existing grandparent, not counting the evil stepmother)

April620
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM
I had my baby at 22
KennyPooPoo22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM
My mom had me at 42, turned 43 a month later. She told me that her biggest fear was that I would have Downs Syndrome.
stacey541
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM
3 moms liked this
I am the child of older parents. They were 40 & 36 when they had me. As a teenager I hated it- they weren't cool like other parents. As I grew up, I realized they gave me more than alot of younger parents could. Not just financially, but they had alot of life experiences to share. Now I'm going through helping my mom die. She has non curable cancer, and it ticks me off I'm going to lose my mom at 30. That happens to people with younger parents as well though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

My mom had me at 40 so I wasn't worried. 

I had my first at 22, second at 35 and third at 40.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I was 36, and I only really worry about maintaining my health so I can live long enough to see grandbabies. During my pregnancy I became very worried when I started reading those books, like "What to Expect When You're Expecting".  I finally decided that the odds of all the bad were way lower than the odds of all the good.  Most woman of any age deilver healthy babies, that was the number one statistic for me.  I threw the books away and rolled with it.

Alaskanelf
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I am 37 and TTC we have been trying for 16 months with one miscarriage in October.   I am worried that it just won't happen.  I was going to go in to see why I wasn't getting pregnant and then the miscarriage and beause I have other kids when I expressed my frustration at it taking so long and my worry about my age, the doctors said see you still can get pregnant so we don't need to do anything.  Frustrating.  

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:58 PM
I will be 35 when my second is born.
momto3B
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM

My only worry was downs syndrome or any other age related birth defects / complications. 

I was 42

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)