Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of women not taking their husband's last names?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies
My daughter is 28 and getting married this summer. today she casually said she's not taking her husband's last name. I asked why and she said she's well known in her field with her name and she just likes it better. She said her hubby to be doesn't care at all but his mom is pissed. I tried to explain that having one name makes a family bond and that it's a nice tradition, but she told me to "drop it".

I don't know. She's pretty "feminist" in lots of ways. Her and her fiance are weird in having traditional jobs and conservative looks but very liberal ideas. I guess this fits into that.

What do you think? Would you be annoyed if your daughter wasn't going to take her husbands name or would you be annoyed if you dil didn't take your sons?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't care.  I have a relative that is a realtor who didnt' take her husband's name until she retired.  She'd already built up a reputation and a client list, and that can be easily jeopardized with a name change.

If her DF doesn't mind, then it's nobody's business but theirs.

I also have a cousin whose husband not only was OK with her maiden name, but let her bestow the maiden name on their first child.  Her brother had passed away and she wanted her father's name to be passed down a generation.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Not a choice in Quebec. It is actually against the law to change your name here, lol. But, we have so many strange laws here, nothing suprises me now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM
I think not my marriage, not my place to judge.

Seems like a sound reason to me though.
RocknRoll.Rose
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't plan to ever get married and, if I did, I would not take his name. I'm still my own person and I will still keep my own name. I'm not letting a man take my identity. I've had the same last name since birth and I will keep it until I die.

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

RadnRem
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM
I still have my maiden name. So, I obviously don't see an issue with it. I don't think a last name makes a family. It's how you treat each other and love one another that makes a family.

And what on earth are "traditional jobs"??
dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM
I think it's weird, but anymore I am in the minority on this subject. I think a husband and wife should share a last name.
I will take my fiance's last name in September when we are married, I've never even considered keeping my name.

I'm going to be 100% honest and tell you that I seriously have no good reason to back this up. It's just what I believe is right.

Now, that does not mean that I am intolerant of the opposite view. If you want to keep your last name, by all means, do so. I will think you are odd, but I will always keep my opinion to myself.
TisHerself
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Seeing as though I did not take my husband's name, I would support my daughter if she chose to follow suit. Assuming a man's name is an antiquated practice, and my decision not to has not affected our family bond in any way. Be proud of the fact that you raised an independent, accomplished woman, instead of finding fault with her choices.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM
I feel like they really dont want to be apart of the family they just fell in love with the man not his crazy family .My mom didn't take my stepfather last nite because his family was wackos.lol
100problems-1
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM
That's not feminist that's normal. My guess is she writes or is in academics. Your name is important. I never changed mine either
curvygurl1912
by Renee on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I would not be annoyed at either of those things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)