Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is wrong with stopping children from eating food they want- if the parent us not cooking dinner

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this
If you hear a parent tell her step child she would be putting a lock on the refrigerator and pantry where the food is.

Do you find this right or wrong or is this considered child abuse and neglect?

Want to hear your input please

A grandparent who cares a lot about all children
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Depends honestly.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM
i would meed more details
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess it depends on the situation and whether or not I thought the parent would actually do such a thing. I mean, if my kids are constantly in and out of the pantry or fridge snacking and then refusing to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner, I would think about child-proofing those places (like putting a hook and latch on the pantry door where only DH and I could reach it). Or if the step-parent is offering other snacks like fruit or veggies and the child refuses but gets something out of the pantry, it would be reasonable.

mary716
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Im actually confused. I need more info on this one.
catcameback
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM

depends on the situation, in most cases, not ok.

SerenityBerry
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

It depends on the individual situation. Does the child have a weight issue? Are they supposed to be on a certain restrictive diet? Do they have a habit of sneaking unhealthy snacks and not eating the healthy meals? Are there impulse issues (like compulsive eating)? Wasting food? 

There are too many variables to say as a blanket statement whether it would be abuse or not. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM
I need more info. If the kid is being ridiculously picky and/or snotty about what's being served, I think the SM is right. If that's not the case, the SM is wrong.
TisHerself
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Unless there is a medical condition where the child is unable to control their eating, no, I would never do such a thing. Children need to learn self-control - how will they monitor their eating when mom and dad are no longer there to portion out food? 

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

It would depend. I wouldn't lock food sources in my house, but my kids also know that they don't have to sneak snacks. If they ask, they'll get something to eat unless I'm cooking right then, in which case they may have to wait about 20 minutes. I also always have fruits, veggies, cheese sticks, and yogurt in case my oldest gets munchies and he has unlimited access to them. My daughter is too young to care right now, but the rules would be the same for her.

Ask me how you can be of at least average intelligence!

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Too vague.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)