Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Passover coffee cake recipe anyone?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:08 AM
  • 31 Replies

My kids loved the boxed Passover coffee cakes we got in the states....but there aren't any boxed mixes like them here and I cannot find a Passover Coffee Cake recipe for my life (I spent over an hour online this morning looking and found nothing remotely like a plain coffee cake (found plenty of apple and banana cakes...but nothing plain).

Does anyone have a Passover Coffee Cake recipe?  (It cannot be a regular coffee cake recipe - during Passover we don't use any leavening agents so no baking soda, baking powder, yeast, etc....and it cannot use regular flour.)

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Shameless bump before I do grocery shopping

LilysMama719
by Emmy on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea what that is, but I'll give you a bump.
supergasper
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Have you checked Allrecipes.com?  I know they have recipes for Passover baked goods.  Not sure about coffee cake in particular.

Hoppers33
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM
No recipe, but I saw a few sites where you can order it.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Bump to come back. Give me 20-25 minutes and lll look in my box of recipes.
Rhodin
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Try just looking up Passover Cake and just making it coffee cake flavor instead of vanilla or chocolate.
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Just checked there.  Nope.  :-(

Thanks for the idea though. :-)

Quoting supergasper:

Have you checked Allrecipes.com?  I know they have recipes for Passover baked goods.  Not sure about coffee cake in particular.

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Thanks, but that won't work.  There is nowhere to order it here.

Quoting Hoppers33: No recipe, but I saw a few sites where you can order it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:26 AM

According to Scripture, the Hebrews made such a hurried escape from Egypt there wasn't enough time to leaven their bread and bake it in the usual manner. The unleavened, flat bread they were able to take with them was the first matzo. Now, in remembrance of that hasty exodus, foods made with ordinary flour or leavening agents such as baking powder or yeast are prohibited during the Passover period.

These restrictions make the preparation of pastries and desserts a little more complicated -- you might say daunting -- than usual. Cakes, cookies and dumplings must be prepared from potato starch or matzo meal made from ground matzo. A more finely ground variation used in baking is matzo cake meal. In many recipes, such as sponge cakes, the following flour conversion measurement is helpful:

1 cup regular flour = 1/4 cup matzo cake meal or 3/4 cup potato starch.

1/2 cup regular flour = 2 tablespoons matzo cake meal or 6 tablespoons potato starch.

To add variety to the traditional sponge cake, I've created a version richly flavored with bananas. Some are pureed in the batter, while the remainder are sliced and folded into it. The top is sprinkled with a matzo-meal streusel, which can be tossed with melted butter, margarine or vegetable oil.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:26 AM
  1. Cake Recipes for Passover - Martha Stewart

www.marthastewart.com/.../clone-passover-cake-recipes
    Martha Stewart
    Birthdays, dinner parties, potlucks, office get-togethers . . . there are so many good reasons to bake a cake. Choose from hundreds of test kitchen-approved ...
  2. Passover Dessert Recipes - Martha Stewart

www.marthastewart.com/274463/passover-desserts
    Martha Stewart
    Savor every moment and meal of Passover with kosher recipes and entertaining ... Have your cake and eat it too with our collection of tempting cakes, tortes, ...
  3. 31 Fantastic Passover Desserts - BuzzFeed

www.buzzfeed.com/.../fantastic-kosher-passover-desserts
    Mar 7, 2013 - Isn't it time you settled down with a nice kosher chocolate cake? .. ... Recipe here (contains dairy*). *several of ... Chocolate PassoverCookies.
  4. Passover Apple Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

allrecipes.com/recipe/passover-apple-cake/
    Allrecipes.com
     Rating: 4 - ‎53 reviews - ‎1 hr 5 mins - ‎426 cal
    My mother, Faye Grant, has been making this apple cake for her Seders for years. It's the best apple cake you'll ever taste!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)