Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Elementary Morning Tardy Rant.

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM
  • 589 Replies
1 mom liked this
I don't know if I'm just having a bad day or what.

What are your children's school's "protocol" on morning tardies?

I dropped my 8 year old off at school 10 minutes late, watched him walk in and drove off. For some reason our school wants parents to sign students in...The process involves the queston "why we're you late?" Only after you stood there a while waiting for the other students to sign in and the attendant to stop pretending to be busy. -_- IMO it's a stupid drawn out process. When I was a kid I walked to school waaaaaay younger than what my son is on time or late. If I was late I told them why....got my slip and went to class.

Anyway the principal called me twice and left two voice messages asking to talk to me about it. Um there is nothing to talk about. I'm going to return her phone call but I need to be level minded before I go off on her...

Kthanksbye. :)

UPDATE: I'll try to Be thorough. Later on in the day I found out not only did the principal call me twice but she called my husband twice. So in total 4 phone calls and 2 voicemails. I returned her phone call with no answer. I'm sorry but IMO it went from excessive to ridiculous. Calls from the principal are serious...that was unnecessary. Especially given the fact my children aren't considered truant. Anyway the way she made it sound was she was concerned about my son's safety. Touching. I finally got a hold of her the next day only to be told she is held accountable for every tardy that a parent doesn't excuse. Um not my problem, sorry. Here she was trying to make it seem like she was concerned about his general safety when all along it was her paycheck. -___- I also found out that my son overheard office staff murmur how rediculous it was that I dropped my son off without walking him in. Which is very unprofessional of them if I do say so myself and I am handling as of the moment.

Oh as to why we were 10 minutes late...my son misplaced his shoe. Which apparently some view as very imperfect of us. -__- Anyway I had urgent matter to attend which is why I didn't physically walk him in. I made sure he was safe which is all that matters to me.
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slayerslegacy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I honestly have no idea. Trystan has only been late once, by about two minutes. The weather was horrible and everyone was late, so they were just sending the kids right to their classes.

mrs.ramirez
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Excuse my typos.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM

My kids have only been late once because I was in labor and waited for a friend to come pick them up and take them instead of taking them myself. I never even thought to ask as far as I know she just dropped them at the front watch them walk in and left and came back to my place lol.

mrs.ramirez
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I just don't get the issue. It sure isn't safety. And if that's the case what about the kids who walk everyday to school alone? It's a personal parental preference I think. And I'm just not in the mood to be hassled by this woman.

She irks me. :|
mrs.ramirez
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM
5 moms liked this
I mean two voicemails? Don't you have a job? Children to attend to? Lol
Godgaveme4
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM
25 moms liked this

Our school policy is that parents need to sign kids in and out.  If they are late, you walk them in and sign them in.  It has to do with security.  If the parent does not walk them in, it is an unexcused tardy.

I feel bad for kids whose parents just dump them in the parking lot when they are late to walk in by themselves.  I understand running late, but seriously, it takes just a few minutes to make sure the rules are followed.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I know here if they're late, they need to go into the office - with a parent.  And yes, they need to know why you're late.  Once they get to high school, they don't need to contact the parent unless it's excessive.

mrs.ramirez
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM
18 moms liked this
Please don't waste your precious time feeling bad for my kid. I can reassure you no one died today.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Our school policy is that parents need to sign kids in and out.  If they are late, you walk them in and sign them in.  It has to do with security.  If the parent does not walk them in, it is an unexcused tardy.

I feel bad for kids whose parents just dump them in the parking lot when they are late to walk in by themselves.  I understand running late, but seriously, it takes just a few minutes to make sure the rules are followed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM
We are suppose to sign them in. But i dont.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:36 PM
3 moms liked this

We have the child sign in, in case of an emergency, when we do attendance we don't call you, to make sure they got to school safely (since some parents don't come in), some days when school starts classes go to specials (pe, music, etc) and the teachers don't know the kids have arrived since that is their planning period and they may not be in the classroom. We ask the reason so we can excuse the tardy. If you don't give us a reason, then it's unexcused.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)