Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

hes an alcoholic, now what do i do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My son met a child last summer and they became close. Since they met theyve played on a few baseball teams together, so ive also gotten to know the parents. We see them every weekend, and sometimes during the week if we happen to be on the same baseball field.Our sons are always at each others houses, or on xbox playing...they get along wonderfully.

So the problem....as ive gotten to know them i realize the dad is an alcoholic. He is always drinking. This past weekend he even left our sons baseball games to down a 6 pack in his car.....games last 4-5 hours, thats it!! This is clearly a problem.

But now what do i do?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexasGirl90
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Well.. Is he a functioning alcoholic? Or does he do dumb shit like get violent or try to drive your son around? Maybe get the friend to just stay at your house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Ive never seen him do anything dumb....well he did drive his son home after the 6 pack.

Quoting TexasGirl90: Well.. Is he a functioning alcoholic? Or does he do dumb shit like get violent or try to drive your son around? Maybe get the friend to just stay at your house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:33 PM
B
TexasGirl90
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:36 PM
My fil is a functioning alcoholic. Goes to work, comes to all family parties and functions, loves the grand kids... But drinks a lot. You never can tell if hes drunk because his tolerance is now so high. We just don't let him drive the kids around and he's never watched them. They're all still under 7. I guess that's why the post didn't freak me out lol I wouldn't want that man driving my son.. But if he was like my fil I wouldn't mind son still being around him.

Quoting Anonymous: Ive never seen him do anything dumb....well he did drive his son home after the 6 pack.

Quoting TexasGirl90: Well.. Is he a functioning alcoholic? Or does he do dumb shit like get violent or try to drive your son around? Maybe get the friend to just stay at your house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Yeah see i just dont find that acceptable.

Quoting TexasGirl90: My fil is a functioning alcoholic. Goes to work, comes to all family parties and functions, loves the grand kids... But drinks a lot. You never can tell if hes drunk because his tolerance is now so high. We just don't let him drive the kids around and he's never watched them. They're all still under 7. I guess that's why the post didn't freak me out lol I wouldn't want that man driving my son.. But if he was like my fil I wouldn't mind son still being around him.

Quoting Anonymous: Ive never seen him do anything dumb....well he did drive his son home after the 6 pack.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:37 PM
B
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM
U
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:53 PM

We had a similar situation happen with the dad of one of our sons' friend. We didn't have to worry about him driving our boys, because he lives in the neighborhood, but we knew for a fact he drove with his own son after drinking after we smelled it in his breath (and witnessed his drunken behavior) at various events. In good conscience, my husband talked with him, and told him if we were ever aware of him driving with his kids after drinking, we would not hesitate to call the police. We were mildly concerned it would affect the children's relationship (although not sufficiently concerned to remain quiet), but the opposite actually happened - he shaped up very quickly and was on his best behavior whenever he knew we'd be around. Not sure what happens behind closed doors, but then again, you can never be. Good luck, it is a tough spot to be in! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Yeah, he never drives our kids, but i still dont think i like my son seeing somene drinking so much.

It is a tough spot, because i dont want my son loosing a friend. I dont want my child around him....and i dont have a choice but to be around these people.

Aarrghh....

Quoting Anonymous:

We had a similar situation happen with the dad of one of our sons' friend. We didn't have to worry about him driving our boys, because he lives in the neighborhood, but we knew for a fact he drove with his own son after drinking after we smelled it in his breath (and witnessed his drunken behavior) at various events. In good conscience, my husband talked with him, and told him if we were ever aware of him driving with his kids after drinking, we would not hesitate to call the police. We were mildly concerned it would affect the children's relationship (although not sufficiently concerned to remain quiet), but the opposite actually happened - he shaped up very quickly and was on his best behavior whenever he knew we'd be around. Not sure what happens behind closed doors, but then again, you can never be. Good luck, it is a tough spot to be in! 

staci1103
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM

If u have a problem with it then maybe only allow contact at ur house or when ur driving.  The driving is what I'd be concerned about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)