Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So apparently the new standardized tests are causing controversy. Edit 4/29

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM
  • 70 Replies
I really don't know why, I don't watch the news so until today it wasn't something I was aware of. Well my son's school just sent out an email about it, urging parents to allow their children to take the test and all the negative things about the test is false. Blah blah blah. I thought it was kind of funny though, one paragraph was so contradictory I got a little cross eyed.

"The absence of your child's score may hurt our school.  If your child doesn't take the test, it won't hurt our school, but it will be like your child never attended the year and we won't be able to have "credit" for their score. It will also cause a little data hole in their history. We won't have data from their year to help us with instructional needs and planning in the future. If your child is a high performer, the absence of that score will hurt us. We are working hard to provide the best education we can. We need the feedback to see if we are making progress. "

So it WILL hurt the school, but it WON'T, but it really will, but it won't, but your kid is a high performer so without their score it WILL hurt us. So... It will or won't? Lol. What is the controversy exactly? Besides standardized tests being a poor example of everything kids learn.

Edit: Holy shit. We just got the schedule for the testing. 8 days of testing?!?!?! That seems extreme. I remember a day or two, 3 tops for testing.
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM
6 moms liked this
The person who wrote that should be made to take the test.
Ilaynasmommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:07 PM
I dont get it but i dont have a kid in school yet. Doesnt it affect the kid`s grade? Dont the grades affect the money the schools get?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Mobile Photo

My reaction after reading it. I even showed my mom who's a substitute teacher and she felt the same haha.

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: The person who wrote that should be made to take the test.
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:12 PM
4 moms liked this
I think we are going to opt our kids out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:15 PM
I don't know about their grade, but from what the email touched on it may affect their test history overall. It says it won't, but goes on to say things like "well everyone is in the same boat nationwide and we're all in this together." So it makes me think it probably does.

Quoting Ilaynasmommy: I dont get it but i dont have a kid in school yet. Doesnt it affect the kid`s grade? Dont the grades affect the money the schools get?
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:16 PM
What is different about this test than the others?

Quoting lapcounter: I think we are going to opt our kids out.
JessMc33
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this
We are definitely opting out once third grade rolls around. Won't change the Shitty teaching all year as a result of standardization, but at least we are not showing support of it in some way.
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump for update.
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM
They are saying out loud what we in Florida already know. As for the eight days it's spread out or at least it is for us. They don't test every day of those eight.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they mean if your child doesn't take the test, they will still get funding for the school but they will have incomplete school data as well as individual scores to better place your child.  But I do worry about someone who writes like that educating children lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)