Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you feel if she taught your child this....?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 652 Replies
4 moms liked this
I work in the nursery for kids 3 and under at a church. A girl there, who just started volunteering (because she is 18 and her daughter is one), was handing out the day's snack: goldfish.
There's these special needs twins. They are fine developmentally, a little slow and very clumsy, but something's wrong neurologically. They both wear glasses and are kind of cross eyed. The girl twin reached for more goldfish and the volunteer set the bag down and said "say 'more' _____" she showed her the sign language for 'more'. The little girl got it after two tries and started using the sign more often, instead of doing her usual grunting and whining (they are a year and can't speak). The volunteer was happy to tell the parents what she'dd taught their little girl... but the parents didn't look happy...? How would you feel if someone who watched your kid taught them sign language??
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby4us09
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM
82 moms liked this

I would be happy because then I would know what they wanted. I would say keep it up. I don't get why the parents were upset.

shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Well since Im all for signing before speaking, Id be happy. I tought all my kids "milk" so no more trying to guess if they were hungry or not...lol. I dont know if Id teach it to other peoples kids unless they asked though.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM
8 moms liked this

I would be thrilled, we actively taught our DS sign from the time he was an infant

HIJKLM
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this
This

Quoting Baby4us09:

I would be happy because then I would know what they wanted. I would say keep it up. I don't get why the parents were upset.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM
My dd learned sign language in her daycare. I thought it was fine.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

They taught my kids to sign in preschool when they wanted something. I was thrilled.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I'd be thrilled

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM
25 moms liked this

Maybe the parents are wanting their children to work on their speech, so teaching them an alternative to talking isn't helpful at all. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't care. I teach my kids to talk though, not sign.
nanasue31204
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM
3 moms liked this
I think it's great and would also learn myself. I think it's no worse than teaching a child to say please before you give them something. The volunteer was obviously excited to share the child's accomplishment with the parents and it helps the child to communicate.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)