Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE! Baby's Rash. What should i do? (Mom's With experience only please)

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:53 AM
  • 104 Replies

UPDATE: We just got back from the hospital. It is hand foot and mouth disease. We gotta let it run its course which could take about a week. Thanks for the help everyone!

I noticed these spots on my son yesterday afternoon. They didn't look that bad then. At 3:00am he had woken up and I checked his legs. They had gotten worse so we went to the hospital. The doctor didn't do anything but look at them. He said it could be contact dermatitis. We haven't changed anything but our laundry detergent but that was almost 2 weeks ago. I only noticed these spots yesterday. He said to see our primary care physician in 48 hours for a check-up or to come back to the hospital if it got worse. It started on his arms and legs and now we have noticed small red sorta dots on his hands, feet, and cheeks. He goes to daycare as well but has been there for about 2 weeks as well.

This was last night

Today

He is 18 months old and does have appointment with his pediatrician at 9:15am tomorrow. I just don't want to wait if it something serious. He did get his Hep A and DTap shots the day before I noticed the rash but I doubt that would cause this.

I would rather not hear go to the hospital UNLESS it is something serious. I just want to find out if other moms have experienced this and what it could possible be.

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annadias
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Try putting coconut oil on it, see if that helps. I use it on diaper rashes, its great for lots of stuff. Rub it in and let it air dry
lexiloo714
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Put some breast milk on it. Or coconut oil
locaporbebe
1 mom liked this
I am not a dr but I would say that need to be seen ASAP.
AuntieM
1 mom liked this
Wow, that looks painful. I have no idea but here's a bump.
NoahsMommy10412
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:58 AM

I can't do breast milk. I couldn't breast feed and my son is 18 months old now. The doctor at the hospital last night told us to not put anything on it including soap during bath time. He had a bath earlier yesterday before I noticed the bumps.

Quoting lexiloo714: Put some breast milk on it. Or coconut oil

NoahsMommy10412
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:59 AM

The doctor at the hospital last night told us to not put anything on it including soap during bath time. He had a bath earlier yesterday before I noticed the bumps.

Quoting annadias: Try putting coconut oil on it, see if that helps. I use it on diaper rashes, its great for lots of stuff. Rub it in and let it air dry

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Is anything else going on ? Is he taking his bottle okay ? Urinating ? Any fever ? Have you tried anything ? What ? Does he seem uncomfortable ? Cranky? Any swelling?
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:01 AM
Same thing happened with my son. His Dr thinks it's eczema. I don't but we are pretending it is. I would ask to follow up with a dermatologist because that's what we are doing. It's going to get super dry and itchy and crack open or he will scratch it open. It needs to stay moisturized.
NoahsMommy10412
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:01 AM

He hasn't been itching them. At least not last night. Just a little bit ago he tried pulling his pant legs up and grabbing his skin. Same with his shirt sleeves. I just don't want to be a worry wart and go to the hospital again tonight especially if it is nothing. I just wish doctors would be all like it looks like this but lets run a couple tests to rule out these other things first not just look at it and be like he'll be fine go home. If the tests came back negative then I can understand telling us to go home and he'll be fine.

Quoting AuntieM: Wow, that looks painful. I have no idea but here's a bump.

annadias
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Sorry but I dont think coconut oil would be bad and would probably soothe it as well. If your doctor is smart, he would agree to coconut oil, but hey I always think that the natural route is the best route..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN