Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I Charge my 13 yo DS for

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

Leaving lights on...he knows better but he seems to think it's no big deal to leave lights on all the time.  Yelling didn't work.  So he's charge a dime a day he leaves them on.

Grounding doesn't work.  Taking his light doesn't work he just leaves the bathroom light on to use, and frankly he needs  a light for home work and music practice.  

I have been doing this 3 months....he hardly leaves the light on.  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ginger0104
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like it's working.  I don't see the problem at all. 

Keeping it in mind if it ever becomes an issue with my kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM
I have lived with four roommates who were never taught to turn the damn light off when they leave a room and always ended up having to pay the ridiculously high electric bills afterwards.

I think what you are doing is wonderful!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I have a friend who thinks it's abuse...she's like I would never charge him for living here and I am like niether am I but I am charging him for being wasteful.  I want him to learn that when he's on his own and has power bills to pay that leaving lights on costs you.

She called me selfish...and then I threw in her face at least I had my own place and not living at dads with five kids no job and tell others how to raise their kids. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Thanks it was last think I could think of that might help...he's 13 but thinks he's going on 30 and stuff.  He doesn't see the big deal...he does now. 

Quoting Anonymous: I have lived with four roommates who were never taught to turn the damn light off when they leave a room and always ended up having to pay the ridiculously high electric bills afterwards. I think what you are doing is wonderful!

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Goooooo Mom!

VintageWife
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Right? You're not charging him to live there. You're charging him for the time he's not there but still using the resources anyway.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a friend who thinks it's abuse...she's like I would never charge him for living here and I am like niether am I but I am charging him for being wasteful.  I want him to learn that when he's on his own and has power bills to pay that leaving lights on costs you.

She called me selfish...and then I threw in her face at least I had my own place and not living at dads with five kids no job and tell others how to raise their kids. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM
You're saving him a world of trouble when he does grow up, moves out on his own, and avoids that $300 electric bill. Trust me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks it was last think I could think of that might help...he's 13 but thinks he's going on 30 and stuff.  He doesn't see the big deal...he does now. 

Quoting Anonymous: I have lived with four roommates who were never taught to turn the damn light off when they leave a room and always ended up having to pay the ridiculously high electric bills afterwards.

I think what you are doing is wonderful!

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM
What a great idea!
Leissaintexas
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM

yep, I've showed my kids the electric bill and showed them the graph that shows usage per month. They couldn't believe how much it went up during hot months when we were running the ac. Its important for kids to understand economic issues, they are much less wasteful when the are able to break down things like cost per meal, or how an extra 60 cents per day doesn't sound like much till the end of the month when you have to pay it to keep the lights on.

withsecond
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I need to start doing this with my 16 year old! Great idea. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN