Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To all the cop "haters"... S/O (Edited)

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM
  • 83 Replies
3 moms liked this

Honest question because I am truly curious.... What has happened to YOU in YOUR life that causes you to feel this way? I am not talking about stories you have read/heard about in the media or stories of things that happened to people you know. But what in YOUR life has caused you to feel this way about cops?

ETA: I am not trying to say that all cops are good or that no one has real life experiences to cause them to dislike or distrust cops. I know there are bad cops out there, but I think lots of people base their opinions of cops on the experiences of others.

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoanahLee
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I have eyes and an understanding of abuse of power.  There are good police officers out there who are good people and who risk their lives to keep people safe, unfortunately they are in the minority in my experience and most cops are ready to throw someone to the ground or harass them for being the wrong color or in the wrong part of town or driving the wrong kind of car... its really sad. 

two4one
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder that too. No one should paint a group of people with a broad brush anyway. One person's actions does not mean the rest of them are the same. I know there are arrogant cops out there, I've met a couple in my life, but I fully support police officers, and always will.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

What have YOU experienced to make YOU feel that way.... Like I said, I am NOT asking about what you have seen or heard. I am asking for YOUR real-life experiences. 

Quoting JoanahLee:

I have eyes and an understanding of abuse of power.  There are good police officers out there who are good people and who risk their lives to keep people safe, unfortunately they are in the minority in my experience and most cops are ready to throw someone to the ground or harass them for being the wrong color or in the wrong part of town or driving the wrong kind of car... its really sad. 

Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I only had one bad experience with a cop but I've met pretty awesome cops.
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM

It baffles me.... The OP in another post said that cops "profile" people and yet from what I can see that is what all of these "haters" are doing. I believe that there are cops who abuse their power and are arrogant, but I do not think it is all of them and I do not think people should be teaching their kids that all cops are bad and untrustworthy.

Quoting two4one:

I wonder that too. No one should paint a group of people with a broad brush anyway. One person's actions does not mean the rest of them are the same. I know there are arrogant cops out there, I've met a couple in my life, but I fully support police officers, and always will.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Oh I don't know how about when I was 15 years old two cops tried but failed to get me to go " party" with them even after I told them I was only 15 years old. They said oh we can get you into clubs.

Yea I don't trust cops.
Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, i had a weird case like that but going on for years.
But they are not all bad.
It's like teachers, some are fucking twats and there for the pay and power others are really good.

Quoting Anonymous: Oh I don't know how about when I was 15 years old two cops tried but failed to get me to go " party" with them even after I told them I was only 15 years old. They said oh we can get you into clubs.

Yea I don't trust cops.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Not all cops are bad.
But, i have personally expiriences abuse of power, been treated like garbage while seeking help, ext ext.

For instance:
My apartments ceiling caved in, and i was forced to go to a shelter here in Clearwater during this time. They had a sign out for going to work, which you had to sign to come in later than curfew, which was eight pm. I signed out until midnight because i was a waitress, and not sure how late i would be cut. I was back by 11. When i returned, all of my possessions were gone. I went to the front and asked why, they said i missed curfew. I explained and showed them the book, they didnt care. I was made to sleep outside, with the men who had sexual charges, the woman who were fighters ext, on concrete, while four months pregnant.
The next day i had a job interveiw. I went to the store, bought coffee, came back and my stuff was gone AGAIN. this time they admitted it was a mistake, but said i couldnt get into it until four. I was in jeans and a misfits t shirt, and didnt want to show up for my interveiw like that. I started crying. Not yelling, crying. The cop told me to lose the attitude, and when i couldnt stop, he put a note next to my name that i had to continue sleeping outside for six weeks, all whilr calling me a whore, bitch, over dramatic....
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

No reason to be snarky.... In this case I think you have a valid reason to be leery of the police. This is why I asked the question. I personally, in all my 38 years, have never had a negative experience with a police officer that would cause me to hate or distrust ALL of them. 

Quoting Anonymous: Oh I don't know how about when I was 15 years old two cops tried but failed to get me to go " party" with them even after I told them I was only 15 years old. They said oh we can get you into clubs. Yea I don't trust cops.

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:05 PM
My old nanny got harassed for driving WITH black, kinda like driving while black. Whenever I see someone pulled over on the highway, I check to see if they are black. They usually are and I tell my kids that they're lucky to not be black.

Quoting JoanahLee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN