Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Rules to handle bullies?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

It wasn't supposed to be sent home...but it was...

http://www.mommypage.com/2014/04/parents-outraged-at-schools-flier-on-how-to-turn-bullies-into-buddies/?r=fb

A Nebraska school found itself in hot water after sending its fifth-grade students home with a flier on how to turn ‘bullies into buddies’.

According to Lincoln Journal Star, the flier, which was sent out last week at Zeman Elementary in Lincoln, Nebraska, included what parents are calling “terrible advice” on how to deal with bullies.

The flier listed nine rules on what kids should do when dealing with bullies, which included everything from “do not tell on bullies,” to “don’t be a sore loser,” Lincoln Journal Star reported.

Below is the complete list the school passed out:

Rule 1. Refuse to get mad.

Rule 2. Treat the person who is being mean as if they are trying to help you.

Rule 3. Do not be afraid.

Rule 4. Do not verbally defend yourself.

Rule 5. Do not attack.

Rule 6. If someone physically hurts you, just show you are hurt; do not get angry.

Rule 7. Do not tell on bullies.

Rule 8. Don’t be a sore loser.

Rule 9. Learn to laugh at yourself and not get “hooked” by put-downs.

Lincoln Journal Star reported that since the flier was distributed to students, the Lincoln Public School has apologized on its Facebook page.

The school principal, Donna Williams, also expressed how sorry she is about the content in the flier.

She wrote parents a letter that said, “The flier was sent home with good intentions,” adding that, “Unfortunately it contained advice that did not accurately reflect LPS best practices regarding response to bullying incidents.”

According to Lincoln Journal Star, District spokeswoman Mary Kay Roth shared that the flier was not even supposed to be sent out to students, and was in fact, not approved for distribution.

“It’s a staff issue, so we’re taking care of the staffing error,” Roth explained. “It wasn’t supposed to be sent home.”

complete-list copy

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama111609
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:31 PM

BUMP!

mama111609

BUMP!

mama111609

BUMP!

mama111609

BUMP!

flaquitabss
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh wow, i would be livid!
flaquitabss
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Of course the first thing i tell my girls is "if someone hits you purposely, you hit them right back real hard, you will be in trouble at school but not with me" Not many will agree with me, but i don't agree with kids being punching bags. The school, teachers, and stuff wont do anything to the bully, so might as well get a spoon on their own medicine. All my 3 girls are in self defense classes and all can defend themselves within reason. It has only happened once and that took care of the bully.
mama111609
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I am one of the ones that will agree with you. My 4 year old DS is in Karate. I am so scared that once he goes to school he will be a target. I want him to be confident in himself so he does have the tools to defend himself...he will have to choose which tool gets used.

Quoting flaquitabss: Of course the first thing i tell my girls is "if someone hits you purposely, you hit them right back real hard, you will be in trouble at school but not with me" Not many will agree with me, but i don't agree with kids being punching bags. The school, teachers, and stuff wont do anything to the bully, so might as well get a spoon on their own medicine. All my 3 girls are in self defense classes and all can defend themselves within reason. It has only happened once and that took care of the bully.

anonymouss
by ruby member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Those are all negative rules, do not, do not, do not. SMH.
flaquitabss
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Exactly right. My kids are nice and polite and sometimes that gets confused with stupid and vulnerable. My oldest (10 back then) was being bullied by a 6 year old!!! She was being nice to her because "she was a little girl" however, my youngest heard her sister say the name and they were classmates, she went right at her and told her "you stop bullying my sister or I will make your face look like ketchup got it?" My daughter got a note sent home. The bully?? Nothing.

Quoting mama111609:

I am one of the ones that will agree with you. My 4 year old DS is in Karate. I am so scared that once he goes to school he will be a target. I want him to be confident in himself so he does have the tools to defend himself...he will have to choose which tool gets used.

Quoting flaquitabss: Of course the first thing i tell my girls is "if someone hits you purposely, you hit them right back real hard, you will be in trouble at school but not with me" Not many will agree with me, but i don't agree with kids being punching bags. The school, teachers, and stuff wont do anything to the bully, so might as well get a spoon on their own medicine. All my 3 girls are in self defense classes and all can defend themselves within reason. It has only happened once and that took care of the bully.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Yikes!! That is not the way to handle a bully.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)