Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Toxoplasmosis?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:55 AM
  • 33 Replies
I don't have cats, quite frankly I don't even like cats, but has anyone heard of long term effects of toxoplasmosis on children such as causing Autism or other problems later in life? My stepson is 7 and being evaluated for autism and the fact he his BM had 4 cats during the time she was pregnant with him raised a red flag with the doctors. I have researched it online the past few days, but just wondering if anyone has any first-hand input, info or experience with toxoplasmosis?
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Interesting.

I have no input on the matter but here's a bump.

nolongermstkn
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Interesting. I have 2 cats and am preg.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:00 AM

My mother had toxoplasmosis while I was in utero but the only issue I have is partial blindness.

Siare
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Honestly, if a Mother has lived with cats all of her life she probably already has an immunity to it before pregnancy. Obviously, she should still avoid changing the litterbox if possible, and definitely wear gloves and a face mask when doing so, but there is little risk there. However, if the Mother decides HEY, I am feeling hormonal! Let's get a new kitten! I don't know anything about them, but it sounds like a good idea! - That's a whole different story..........

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Just don't change their litter and if you do make sure to wash your hands extremely well afterwards. 

Quoting nolongermstkn: Interesting. I have 2 cats and am preg.

RVTMommy
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Typically if the mother is exposed to toxoplasmosis during pregnancy the effects on the baby would be apparent at or soon after birth.
smorgan865
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:04 AM
I don't have experience with having it. But you can get it even if you don't have cats. For instance, if there are neighborhood cats and you dig in your yard or play in a sandbox where the cats may have eliminated you can still be exposed.

She was probably tested for it in her pregnancy blood panel. It's one of the standards. So If she was negative...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:05 AM
This exactly.

Quoting RVTMommy: Typically if the mother is exposed to toxoplasmosis during pregnancy the effects on the baby would be apparent at or soon after birth.
nolongermstkn
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:05 AM
SO does not me :-)

I read somewhere that like 70% or so of people have been exposed and are now immune. Not sure if its true.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just don't change their litter and if you do make sure to wash your hands extremely well afterwards. 

Quoting nolongermstkn: Interesting. I have 2 cats and am preg.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WundrWmn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:07 AM
BM bought the cats (hymalayins) when she got preg with intentions of breeding them for extra money since she planned to be a SAHM... Rocket scientist, I know right?

Quoting Siare:

Honestly, if a Mother has lived with cats all of her life she probably already has an immunity to it before pregnancy. Obviously, she should still avoid changing the litterbox if possible, and definitely wear gloves and a face mask when doing so, but there is little risk there. However, if the Mother decides HEY, I am feeling hormonal! Let's get a new kitten! I don't know anything about them, but it sounds like a good idea! - That's a whole different story..........

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)