Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is my family weird, or have things just completely changed and we didn't get the memo?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 615 Replies
43 moms liked this
When did Easter become a major gift giving holiday?? I have seen on here that kids are getting huge gifts like tablets and bikes, etc...Easter for me growing up was coloring eggs on Saturday night, the "Easter Bunny" hiding them, waking up to search for them, and a basket full of candy at the end of the search. I also got a new outfit and shoes to wear to church tjt morning, but that was it. And I was thrilled and looked forward to it every year.

I do the same thing with my kids. I've never bought "gifts".

Am I weird? Are big lavish gifts for Easter the norm these days? s

I just don't get it. Christmas was only 4 months ago (some years it was only 3)...why are big gifts necessary again?

Trust me, I go ALL-OUT for Christmas I am just having a hard time understanding why people go crazy with gifts for Easter.
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovingmamaof2an
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:32 AM
11 moms liked this
I don't get it either.. My kids get a few small things in their basket and a little bit of candy lol. And we do an Easter egg hunt (:
Dellane
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:34 AM
2 moms liked this

We are rather low key with it as well but it doesn't bother me that others want to go all out.  

TotallyTweedles
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM
5 moms liked this
In my family we look for any reason to gift and celebrate so it's always been a pretty big deal. Not comparable to Christmas but still substantial.
ninjakids
by Christina on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM
Growing up i always got a big gift (new bike, roller blades, scooter ... Not all the same year) plus my basket (candy/chocolate a book/movie crayons) plus an outfit, and shoes.

I do the same for my sons. Although theirs looks like they got a lot it cost me 34.50 for all their 'toys' which were all needed for our summer time family activities.
SweetCL
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:36 AM

My kids will be hunting Easter eggs and each of them gets a small gift: DS a small car, DD1 a stuffed animal and DD2 a polly pocket doll.

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:37 AM
51 moms liked this
'Cause, don'tcha know we are raising the next generation to be entitled!
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:37 AM
8 moms liked this

My kids get an Easter basket and candy....thats it

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Makes no sense to me.

RalphsMommy123
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:37 AM
5 moms liked this
You're not weird at all. I never seen the gift giving thing until cafemom. We use to get an outfit, a basket and we colored eggs. Thats it. I didnt know Christmas came twice a year
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine get a new outfit, some candy and a couple of books they wanted. I never go big for easter and never got why people felt need to. Though I realize it's just part of the overly materialistic culture we have. That said I don't judge what others do. If they want to give big gifts or no gifts that's their business and not mine. To each their own
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)