Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nope I don't walk my dog with a leash!!! Nor will I!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
We found our one dog 7 years ago basically choking because someone tied a leash up in the woods to a large rock cliff thing that she could hardly touch the ground below her with her back legs (looked like she may have actually fell off the rock and couldn't get back up). She has been a awesome dog since but if you pull out a leash she cowards down. So after much trying in training classes to walk on a leash, we just trained her to be under voice control. It works well for us and where we live the law states that you must have you dog under reasonable control with or without a leash present. Many people though have acted like I am horrible for not putting a leash on her. She literally walks about a foot to the side of me unless I tell her to sit and stay somewhere or tell her to go behind me. I could grab her collar at any time if I wish. Is there anyone else that does this?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dizzy91
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

That's illegal where I live, so no, we'd never go without a leash. 

alexsmommy2010
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM
I've heard of dogs being that trained. Have you tried a hareness or vest on her?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah....try a harness.

4Dragons
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM

My neighbor walks his giant Great Dane without a leash. I honestly don't know if it's legal for him to not use a leash, but his dog is so well trained I also don't think many people notice he's not leashed. I personally wouldn't go leashless just to be on the safe side, but if I had a dog like yours I'd probably have to reconsider that. Have you tried a harness where the leash can clip to her back instead of her neck?

Mommy1438
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM
No matter how wel u train a dog they can snap or run at any random moment. say they see a squirrel or go kart or something unexpected and run away or to it. Say a car backfires or squeals loudly and the dog bolts. I would never trust it. I had a dog that hated black ppl. She would walk fine w/o a leash but black person walk by? She would be looking all vicious pulling at the end of her leash choking herself to get to them. And before u say anything I'm not rasist my mom's black, lol. But she was abused in another hlme before she came to us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM

My dog is not that controlled. She's still pretty young though. Maybe some day because I would love to do that. However I wouldn't do that in an area where other people are. There are a lot of people who are afraid of dogs and even though I would know my dog wouldn't chase them, they dont know that. Plus I think in my state dogs have to be on a leash in most areas.

summerlove3677
by ReedusSlut on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM
This. Because in some places its illegal to not have them on a leash

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah....try a harness.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM
A guy who lives near my parents walks his greyhounds like that. They behave themselves too. If it works, great!
nopenope666
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Lmao well....this is awkward. I was just about to ask where she learned that shit. Haha.

Im mixed too, i wouldnt be able to not be like....uh, listen pup. Youre gonna have to cut the racist shit. Lol!!

Quoting Mommy1438: No matter how wel u train a dog they can snap or run at any random moment. say they see a squirrel or go kart or something unexpected and run away or to it. Say a car backfires or squeals loudly and the dog bolts. I would never trust it. I had a dog that hated black ppl. She would walk fine w/o a leash but black person walk by? She would be looking all vicious pulling at the end of her leash choking herself to get to them. And before u say anything I'm not rasist my mom's black, lol. But she was abused in another hlme before she came to us.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

It's illegal here unless the dog is in your own fenced yard.  

I'm glad your pup had someone like you to rescue her, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN